Oil for injection?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat2110

Oil for injection?

Post by SuperRat2110 »

What kind of oil can be used for the 01? Is there a special oil designed for it or can you use the same type of oil used in a premix? What did they use 45 years ago?
matt glascock

Re: Oil for injection?

Post by matt glascock »

For my oil injection bikes, I use Yamalube "S". It's a quality oil, easy to come by, and won't break the bank. The key here is to make sure whatever you use, it is clearly labelled "compatible with oil injector" or the like. Injector oil is thinner than premix oil so as to allow flow through the small passages of the oil injection system.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Thanks Matt, seems like the yamalube is popular among the hodaka owners.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Agreed SuperRat. It seems to be the popular choice. It is a great line of semisynthetic oils with good lubricity and a relatively clean burning characteristic.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

And it works....
Attachments
20190519_132713.jpg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yay!! You might want to consider including confirmation of pump function as part of your routine maintenance program. I neglected this task which cost a great Toad cylinder/piston combo with a cylinder that still had one good overbore left on it. The problem was a stuck ball valve on the banjo bolt that mounts to the intake tract. Now I do the following test once a year minimum. It is simple to do and takes a few minutes. With an empty fuel tank, pour in a pint or so of premix. Remove the banjo bolt with oil line attached at the intake tract (block the hole at the intake tract), and run the motor to confirm oil delivery. Don't expect it to squirt out - its more of a slow ooze. Also, reconfirm the index marks on the pump are properly aligned and make sure the pump valve begins to move immediately as you roll on the throttle. This few minutes of time invested buys a lot of peace of mind and a safe enjoyment of the convenience of oil injection. Additionally, make sure to never allow the oil tank to run dry. Its not that big a deal if it happens but you will have to re-prime the pump for it to function properly again and if this is missed for any duration, you could ruin your motor. I check the oil tank level at each refueling.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Thanks for the heads up Matt. I do recall reading your thread on the issues you ran I to but I will definitely take your advice and keep an eye on it. I'm just surprised that it worked. It took 15 minutes or so to get through the pump up to the intake. I also didn't drain my premix and I fouled my plug so I'm assuming its getting the oil it needs.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Also, will the bike still smoke pretty good with the injection system or less?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Excellent Super. These Mikuni oil injection pumps are nearly bulletproof. After I blew up my Toad top end, I was anti-oil injection for awhile. I have a Thunderdog motor that Hodaka Dave is overhauling and so I posed the premix vs injection question to him. He was all in for injection. He's an absolute master mechanic so that's good enough for me.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Less I'd say. At idle, the oil presence is minimal - I've heard somewhere around 100:1. At WOT, smoke production is on par with any 2-stroke bike.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Well I don't want feel like I'm taking a gamble here so Thanks for reinsuring me. I'll be watching things closely. I'm amazed at how durable these old pumps are. Wish they still made stuff like that but we have to keep people working.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

No kidding! I was just talking (bitc4ing) about the throwaway world we live in these days. On the other hand, the Mic oil pump is well made and durable. Just keep an eye on it and it will serve you well.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I'm not sure that the Mikuni oil pump is a reasonable "standard" to compare with other manufactured items. It is indeed a well engineered and constructed item, but it gets to operate in a clean enclosed space, the innards operate in a clean oil bath and it operates at relatively low speeds. Pretty easy life it seems to me. ;)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hmm...According to all I can remember from embryology, I'm a manufactured item. I operate in a clean (relatively) enclosed space, my innards are constantly exposed to an oil bath (pepperoni pizza), and according to consistent feedback from my wife, I operate at a reeeeeeeeealllllly slow speed. Why then, Captain, am I falling apart at the seams???? Perhaps a manufacturing flaw? Poor maintenance? All the above? Yes, that's it. All the above.
givergas

Post by givergas »

wrong kind of oil matt.....albert
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Great post Matt! :lol: My favorite of the day!
Ivan AKA "Pop"
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Lol, that was fun to read this morning! Matt, try some yoga the pizza's lubrication characteristics work better when combined with downward dog and standing chair poses.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Bullfrog, it's not the pumps fault it has a good design that suits its environment. Maybe a lot of other things need to be designed to better suit their environment. I think you're onto something.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I tried the sausage. Too much backfiring and detonation. :lol:
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Matt it sounds like you might need to adjust the intake calibration. :lol:
Ivan AKA "Pop"
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:lol: Hi Pop. You know, that's what my wife and my pants tell me!!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Pay attention and listen to the pants! ------------ Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Ahhhhhhh. Yet another thread gone off the deep end..... :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Matt, I tried (hard) to come up with a good response after I picked myself up off the floor and caught my breath. But finally, I had to admit I had no comment of comparable quality . . . so I retreated to lurk . . . (Dang this is a fun group!!!!)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Sure is, Captain! I love it!! Its an extension of what Hodaka is all about - fun!

PS - Clarence, better hope my wife doesn't read your post lest we embark on a new thread - "Old Lady Heading North and Bringing Attitude". Then again, better thee than me.