Nylon nuts

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat2110

Nylon nuts

Post by SuperRat2110 »

I've read where some guys have used or use nylon nuts on the clutch instead of the safety wire. I'm leaning towards using them also. Is there a special kind used? Seems like the ones at the hardware store aren't shallow enough to get a full bite? I realize some clutches have longer screws, I believe my 98 has the longer ones. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Joe Ormonde

Re: Nylon nuts

Post by Joe Ormonde »

I think that a M5 Castellated Nut with a cotter pin would be the best choice. After reading your posting I remembered that my Grandsons have them on their RC Cars. RC Cars use a bunch of itsy bitsy teeny weenie washers and nuts. I looked up M5 Castellated nuts Online and they`re plentiful. I just don`t know if they`re shallow enough for the cotter pin. Just a thought! Joe
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

If you have all seven of the standard clutch screws and they are in good shape - use 'em - and safety wire 'em.

Most folks switch to lock nuts because they are short on the stock screws with smooth shanks and rolled threads . . . and have to use "off-the-shelf" fully threaded screws. Note that modifications to the clutch steel plates are highly recommended if you switch to fully threaded screws.

Ed
PS: I still prefer the stock screws . . . and use the stock screws . . . so I have no direct experience with using lock nuts on the clutch screws.
Keep the rubber side down!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Optional ways of locking things down on the clutch using nylon nuts, spec lock nuts, bailing wire and etc, ask yourself latter, how much did I save when all comes loose and tears things up or leaves you in the woods with a long walk home. Do as Ed suggest,s and do it the right way, it will save you a lot of dollars and heart ache,s. Don,t pinch Pennies here. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Yeah, I had read a thread awhile back that some guys were using the nylon nuts and hadn't had any problems and that was with the stock screws for my specific clutch. I do have them on there right now but I believe I have the wire on the way with some other parts so I will probably switch back. Appreciate the feedback especially now that I have my bike fully restored and running. I don't plan on running bike a lot but I should still assume the worse could happen. The nuts will definitely cause more damage when thin wire.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello again, its not that the nylon nuts will cause more damage, its the question one must ask is it worth more than to use proper special stainless tie wire to make sure that issues probably will not happen, or take the chance if something fails and its all a costly repair to be done. Proper tie wire installed and done right is the best way to secure the special nuts to the clutch screws properly. Don,t cut corners here.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

Bruce, Im not sure what special nuts you're referring to? The original clutch just has screws and wire. Are there nuts that can be put on with stock screws to supplement the wire?
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

You are correct, screws and wire. My retired brain and fingers made me do it. But please if you do rewire it, use the special tie wire that you can get at any Home Depot or Lowes, or good hardware or auto supply. All is good and I stand corrected. Good Luck with project. Happy Hodaken.
SuperRat2110

Post by SuperRat2110 »

No worries Bruce, we all short circuit from time to time.