Dismantling ace 100 fork

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Algonquin

Dismantling ace 100 fork

Post by Algonquin »

I’m having some difficulty removing the Allen bolt at the bottom of the fork. I can hear the damper inside turning. The Allen bolt turns but doesn’t come out. I have followed the instructions on the video showing how to dismantle the forks. One fork came apart just like it should, but I am out of ideas for the other. Anyone else face this difficulty?
mac

Re: Dismantling ace 100 fork

Post by mac »

If you haven,t already,try it with the fork spring in and fork cap tight to put pressure on the damper with maybe even an extra spacer on top of the spring for more pre load. If you have an impact use that to give it a quick spin. If that fails you could try a long wooden down rod to push down on the damper or jam along side of it to wedge against the inside of the tube and maybe keep it from spinning.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I have run into this a couple of times. An air gun and a strong buddy to compress the fork while you hit the trigger of the air gun will usually do the trick. The quick jolt of the air gun is faster than the damper rod can spin in the tube.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Here’s my fork video
https://youtu.be/3EUbKp8j09M
gregg_floren

Post by gregg_floren »

Do the 30mm forks have the same protruding "ridge" in the top of the damper rod as the 34s?

If they do, Dennis Stubblefield Sales makes a tool that fits on a socket extension to hold the damper rod. I think it's tool #10. It's saved me a lot of anguish disassembling forks.

Gregg
gregg_floren

Post by gregg_floren »

Do the 30mm forks have the same protruding "ridge" in the top of the damper rod as the 34s?

If they do, Dennis Stubblefield Sales makes a tool that fits on a socket extension to hold the damper rod. I think it's tool #10. It's saved me a lot of anguish disassembling forks.

Gregg
Algonquin

Post by Algonquin »

The air gun worked. Thanks for everyone’s help. Moving on to the clutch kit
Algonquin

Post by Algonquin »

I wanted to mention the dismantling forks video was very well done recommend it to anyone dismantling forks