Lack of power in 1st/2nd gear

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
COAce100

Lack of power in 1st/2nd gear

Post by COAce100 »

Hi all!

Just had a question on where to start for addressing an issue with low power on a 68 Ace 100:

So everything else seems to be in order, runs on first kick, idles fine and gears 3-5 have plenty of juice, but 1st and 2nd really seem to be lacking. When i get on the throttle hard, it winds up well but doesn't really accelerate much out of first. Second gear has slightly more, but it's not until 3rd gear that throttle response is where it should be.

Where should I start? Or what other things should I look to for the issue?

Thanks in advance!
-B
RichardMott

Re: Lack of power in 1st/2nd gear

Post by RichardMott »

What sprocket combination do you have?

RM
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I think we need some more descriptions of what is happening. The engine should run the same regardless of what gear is selected. The engine responds according to 1) throttle position 2) engine RPM (is it spinning fast enough to "pull" the load you are asking it to "pull") and finally, 3) gear selection/"load" (ie, the engine simply isn't going to "pull" away from a stop sign in fifth gear, engine rpm is too low and "load" is too heavy).

So tell me what happens if you try to do a "jack rabbit" or drag race take off from a dead stop. Then I can assume you are trying to hold full throttle in every gear . . . and that you are revving the engine a good bit. What symptoms do you notice in that situation?

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

More info is needed but to guess, I think you are to rich on the lower end and about right or a bit lean on the top end. Clarence