250ED oil pump cable

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hosk1956

250ED oil pump cable

Post by Hosk1956 »

Ok friends, I have a dilemma, I am assembling my 250ED motor but have misplaced the cable fitting that goes on the end of the oil pump cable, I had a fair idea what the original should look like and how it will work so I made one up as seen in the photos.
But the nipple on the end of the cable won't slide up between the arms of the oil pump lever, I hope my description and the attached photos make sense.
So my question is whether I am wrong with the nipple I made up, the motor has been apart for over 12 months so maybe my memory is bad! I know new nipples are available but postage to Australia is a killer and basically being a tight arse I thought I had the solution.
Any help out there, maybe a photo of the cable and nipple in place?

Wayne from Oz
The nipple
The nipple
Nipple with cable in
Nipple with cable in
All together but nipple is hanging out
All together but nipple is hanging out
A sort of better view of nipple hanging out.
A sort of better view of nipple hanging out.
Dale

Re: 250ED oil pump cable

Post by Dale »

Here is an example from a 99 Road Toad oil pump cable. Near as I can tell, they would be the same. Perhaps you have a cable that is just too large on the end that slips into the arm. Let me go measure a cable end...
20190316_082305 (2).jpg
20190316_081520 (2).jpg
Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

The cable end measures 3mm in diameter x 3.75mm in length.
Dale
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Thanks for that info ddvorak, the parts all measure out the same on mine, my nipple is still the original one and 3mm diameter.
So I have to presume that the arm on the pump has become bent somehow while it was dismantled, I have no idea how, I certainly don't remember dropping it or stepping on it, that will be one of life's mystery's!
I will just lever the arm open that little bit and all should be right with the world.
I am pretty excited, this little issue has been the only thing stopping me from starting it up, I had bought the bike of the original owner and had been stored for 30 years, I haven't restored the bike, just cleaned and tidied it all up back to an original condition, the motor had to be stripped down though as water had got into the flywheel side cover and corroded everything up, so new bearings and rings, bore was good.
Thanks for your help.

Wayne from Oz.