The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

Re: burned up basket case

Post by givergas »

yes sir thank you....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

we got the new bearings and seals in and motor put back together and it passed the pressure test with flying colors. the clutch is put back together so tomorrow we will put the clutch side casing together. so the next on the list is to rewire the magneto looks like the condenser is not available from hodaka parts so the hunt is on. new carb rebuilt kit and cables on the way. i found a seat and ordered it and it does not fit on this bike but does fit the 03 thats the next project dont know how i did that but it work out in the end. so im making a seat and if it works, looks like it should, i will let you know how i did it, it starts with a 6 inch plastic pipe but we will see how it finishes. so geting closer all the time should be done before all this snow melts which cant happen fast enough....albert
Attachments
clutch 2.jpg
IMG_7409.JPG
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Can I donate the condenser?-----------------Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

question? are the ignition coil and the lighting coil created equal? can they be interchanged? and if your only going to run a spark plug no other wires other lights just a kill switch, do you need both coils installed in the magneto to make it work? thank you ,.......albert
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I do not believe that the two coils can be interchanged. If all you are going to run is the ignition, then all you need are the parts required to do that. The other coil has nothing to do with the ignition.
mac

Post by mac »

I was able to swap the lighting coil and use it for an ignition coil on my TY250 and Bultaco Sherpa T,but I think it may have been just dumb luck that it worked. A fellow on trials central with a lot more knowledge than me explained why.
Attachments
8F0DAF17-C63B-4500-8E08-E25778632524.jpeg
E6031392-77C8-44E1-8EE9-F2021BC1DAD2.jpeg
givergas

Post by givergas »

thanks thats what i needed to know i started to over think again i was seeing a balance issue....albert
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Mac, I saw your post on re-winding lighting and exciter coils, from someone, can you send to me a via e-mail where this person might be contacted. [email protected] I have further questions, Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Mac, I found info on "Rex" but cannot determine how to get a hold of him, is it possible you can try and find an e-mail or phone contact for him and send to me on e-mail [email protected] Thanks for the phone call today, good talk. Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
mac

Post by mac »

I,m not sure if I can,but will I will see what I can find out.
givergas

Post by givergas »

so im looking for a chain guard for this project and looking at the " hodaka compatibility parts list " and it seems there's only one that fits the 92B+. am i looking at this right ? thanks...albert
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

You'll need the chain guard with this cutout:
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 9.21.48 AM.png
The Ace 90 and Ace 100 chain guards were all basically the same with minor differences. The tail end was extended for the Ace 100, and a small cutout was added later so that the rear shocks would fit on the Ace 100B and B+.

$0.02

Roger
givergas

Post by givergas »

thanks some parts get a little confusing for me. well i got the seat done.started with a 6" x 24" inch piece of plastic pipe , cut it long ways end to end, heated it up and flattened it out so i had a 24 x 18 inch piece of plastic. made some measurements on it for guide lines. bent it up. took some measurements off of the seat on my B+ and made some brackets. put some foam that i had on hand. and then ( dont look very close at this part ) got some fabric and covered it up. to cheap to get a real upholsterer for the first time out. 8 bucks for the pipe, 6 for the contact cement, 8 for the fabric. so for less than 25 dollars i have a seat. now the pressures off and can keep my eyes open for a real one or if this lasts improve it with better foam and get a real upholsterer to cover it. and yes clarence i would be very appreciative if you would send me a condenser, pm me.....albert
Attachments
IMG_7560.JPG
IMG_7476.JPG
IMG_7454.JPG
IMG_7404.JPG
IMG_7397.JPG
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Very clever, Giver. I think your saddle looks just great.
givergas

Post by givergas »

thanks matt. very generous comment. albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

getting a second opinion on these shifting parts.. they have out lived there usefulness im thinking....albert
Attachments
IMG_7590.JPG
IMG_7586.JPG
IMG_7580.JPG
IMG_7574.JPG
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Zowee, that is the most wear I think I've ever seen on the ratchet and plunger! Certainly appears that replacement is in order. The ratchet spring is certainly at risk of breaking if it has been in there through all that wear. The foot change shaft probably is a VERY loose fit in the bore. You'll likely need to bush the shift cover and probably replace the foot change shaft. I couldn't tell much about the ratchet key (the item assembled onto the foot change shaft). If it still fits on its shaft without excessive slop . . . it might be re-useable. However, if it has un-even wear out on the ends where it engages the ratchet piece (matching the un-even wear) . . . then replacing it is needed too. Yup, those parts are pretty much used up.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
givergas

Post by givergas »

thank you ed i guess every thing should be replaced, boy this project has been rough if its not wore out then it is broke if not broke then bent if not bent then burned up, im getting quite the education. thanks for all the help....albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Albert. Is this for an Ace 100? I may have a spare set I can donate to you for your boy, since you’re working hard to pass on the knowledge and history to the younger generation. I do have to work tomorrow, but let me look when I get home. I think I have the assembly in a box out in my garage which I’ll need to go thru!

Just tell me one thing. One down, 4 up, or 1 up 3/4 down? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

well thanks victor. im going to send the case somewhere to get a bushing put in and till i find out who to send it to " that is a plea for help by the way " i should wait to see what is involved and how it will end up, it is 1 up 4 down. by the way your combat looks great nice project im hoping to have a line on one also, but he is a bit of a recluse so i have to get his brother to help me sneak up on him we shale see.....albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Let me look thru my spares. I may have an entire 1 up 4 down shifter case I can send you. I’m not sure, but I thought I had one. I will look. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

looking for a second opinion, im relocating the condenser up under the tank. i will have only the primary coil in the magneto, so i will ground that with the screw that holds it it the magneto. i will take the winding wire from the ignition coil and points wire and solder them together then run one wire up from there to the condenser plug it in and run the other end the the ignition coil, the condenser will be grounded to the frame / ignition coil.thanks for any imput ....albert
Attachments
IMG_7628.JPG
Dale

Post by Dale »

Yep, you've got it.
Dale
givergas

Post by givergas »

are right, thanks, coils coming today then rebuild shifter assembly, get a air cleaner, get new sprockets and chain and a few more things that i probably forgot and its ready to go. again thanks for the help.....albert
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Where did you get the condenser looks good? ---------------Missed your message need something else let me know-------------Clarence