Cylinder head

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

Cylinder head

Post by rtboone »

Greetings all

I have a cylinder head with the # 952501 embossed above "Made in Japan". Is this for a model 95 CW?

Thanks

Tom
Pep

Re: Cylinder head

Post by Pep »

Yep.
Ship it my way, I'm sure you don't want it :D
-Laurie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Well I think you have a wombat head, unless I have my thoughts are in reverse. I think the CW head is 9 space 2501, wombat 952501?? Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The "95" part of the number clearly makes it a Combat Wombat head.

A head with 9_2501 could be a "97" (Super Combat) or "98" (orange tank Super Rat) head. Check OD of squish band to determine which it is.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I checked my CW head and it is clearly marked 952501.

I think the Super Combat head is marked 9_2501, although I am not 100% certain.

Brian
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

FYI. The OD of the squish band is 56mm so that should confirm it as being a 95 CW head. Would that head make too much compression for a stock 03 engine?

I also have a head that is marked 9_2501 ( 50mm squish band) that I wasn't quite sure if it was from a 98. Now I know.

Thanks for the input

Tom
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I have two CW heads and they are both marked 952501. I have three model 03 heads and they are marked 9_2501 (just like the Super Combat) although the squish area is shaped different in all three. The exhaust timing is not much different in the CW and the 03 so I would guess that the CW head would work on the 03. Give it a try and check the compression. Other comments please.
Last edited by bchappy on Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

2mm difference in exhaust port height between the CW and the 03 Wombat suggests to me that the CW head won't work on the 03 due to excessive compression (do not exceed 155-160 unless you plan on running high quality/high octane race gas).

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Using a Super Combat head with an (03) Wombat cylinder will give you aprox. 220 lbs compression. A Combat head with a little more volume might bring you to 190 lbs compression give or take. A stock Hodaka ART piston might not be able to take that but a new Wiseco will.
Like Ed said close to 170 lbs compression 50/50 race/pump gas. Over 170lbs straight race fuel.
Paul
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

I now have three heads to experiment with whenever I get my 03 engine put together.
A 95 head marked with the # 952501, a 97 head with the # 9_2501 and what I assume is an 03 head marked with the # 9_2501.
The 97 has a bit less dome area than the 95 but look similar, and the 03 head has quite a lot more dome area and has that deep pocket with the sharp edge.
I most likely will end up using either the 95 or 03 head depending what brand piston I end up with.

Tom

The 95 head is left front and the 97 head is right front
Attachments
IMAG1069.jpg
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

My super combat has about 200 psi compression and uses a stock piston , never has a failure from compression , as long as fuel is good enough to avoid detonation dont worry about it .

Rich
Modracer70

Post by Modracer70 »

What octane fuel do you use for that much compression?
Thanks, Dave
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello Bill I have a head marked 95201 but the dome inside is nothing like the three sample you sent a picture of. My dome is sets flush with the bottom of the head where it mounts to Cyl.

It has 8mm stud holes, Which type of head might this be. Wombat or Combat Wombat.

I am interested to find out as well. Bruce Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Bruce,
Often when you see the dome set flush with the bottom of the head it means it has been shaved and they didn't put any relief back in it. The piston may be very close to hitting the head if I am understanding what you said. Also, did you mean 952501 instead of 95201?
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Yes Bill you where correct it was 952501. I will have to be careful when using, to make sure I use a thicker gskt or several gskts, to give some clearance.

Now, on to the Cycl. Its a 125 yes, has the three exh. bolt stud pattern, and a four bolt intake pattern, looks like a reed unit, but just inside the int. port there are two holes drilled into head that run down into grooved out channels into the cycl. Can you ID for me Wombat or Combat Wombat. early or late years. Bruce I got this eng. in pieces. lots of pieces
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Yes Bill you where correct it was 952501. I will have to be careful when using, to make sure I use a thicker gskt or several gskts, to give some clearance.

Now, on to the Cycl. Its a 125 yes, has the three exh. bolt stud pattern, and a four bolt intake pattern, looks like a reed unit, but just inside the int. port there are two holes drilled into head that run down into grooved out channels into the cycl. Can you ID for me Wombat or Combat Wombat. early or late years. Bruce I got this eng. in pieces. lots of pieces