Roller bearing

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

Roller bearing

Post by rtboone »

Greetings all

What would be the best method to remove the main shaft roller bearing in an 03 engine. I've used the hydraulic and tap methods for the bushings in other engines ( tap works better for me) but I have never removed a roller bearing in this location, and I don't want to damage the case.

Thanks

Tom
dcooke007

Re: Roller bearing

Post by dcooke007 »

Hey Tom,

I use a large toaster oven. I bought it to bake my refinished parts and heat up parts to install and remove bearings. Bring the case up to 325 degrees and the bearing should come out pretty easy.

Danny Cooke
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

FYI

I got it out using a "snap on" small slide hammer puller. Three pulls on the hammer and it was out without heating the case.

Tom
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, I have a tech question. many years ago in shop class they indicated the heating and cooling method was best to put steel sleeves, brgs, and etc from alm., pieces. Not matter how careful we might try to use a puller or press set up to pull bushings or bearings with out some heat on the alm., to releave the tension area on the bush or brg, it can move very small amounts of matter from the alm., part. Sooner or latter a new size product will have to be installed with larger diameter out side, and it will have resized to fit properly. The same is true when force fitting a part into alm. have to be very careful. Thanks Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho