combat wombat maintenance

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
marty

combat wombat maintenance

Post by marty »

Hello all,
I am relatively new to the forum, but I am happy to report I finally acquired a cw. The bike has sat inside for a long while and I know I need to clean tank and carb. Can anyone suggest a laundry list of all the things that need to be addressed before the bike is started for the first time in probably many years? I will try to post some pictures of her in the next few days. I am really looking forward to hearing from everyone's expertise.
Thanks, Marty
Dale

Re: combat wombat maintenance

Post by Dale »

Marty,
Purchase a repair manual.

Add a fuel filter (or replace if one exists) when doing the tank and carb cleaning.

Check for spark and check the gap on your points. Start with a new plug. NGK B9HS. Plan on new points and condenser soon if not now.

Take the time to perform an air leak down test. The seals are up to 40 years old and should be checked at minimum. It would be recommended to change out the left side crank seal. This can be done without splitting the cases. Air leaks are death to 2-strokes and the left side crank seal is the critical one!

Change out the crankcase oil. Capacity is 20 oz, but you can only drain 16 oz via the drain plug. Removal of the clutch side cover will allow the remaining 4 oz. to be drained. If the old oil is sludge at all, then expect the clutch pack to need some attention. A good cleaning at minimum.

Check, clean and oil the air cleaner element. There is a good chance that the element will have deteriorated and will need to be replaced. Also check the air boot for cracks.

Forks should be dis-assembled, cleaned and new oil added. Replace the seals and o-rings while you have them apart.

Shift cover should be dis-assembled, cleaned and greased. It should be checked for excessive play in the shift shaft and for excessive wear on the internals.

Brake shoes should be examined and wheel bearings checked and greased.

Steering stem bearings should be cleaned and greased.

Swing arm bolt should be checked, cleaned, and greased.

How's that to get started? The good news is that all of these tasks are pretty easy to accomplish and just take some patience. Good luck!
Dale
Last edited by Dale on Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Excellent Dale !
marty

Post by marty »

Thankyou Dale. I do appreciate your attention to detail. I will let you know about the progress I make.
Marty