Ace 100 B+ Jetting Question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
taber hodaka

Re: Ace 100 B+ Jetting Question

Post by taber hodaka »

The green supplement did not cover the 92B+.
Super rat or MX supplement 100MX was the name but they had model's 93, 93A and 93B.
Likewise the 100B supplement, 100B covered the name but there were model's 92?, 92B and 92B+.
If they had called the 100B the street trail it would have been less confusing even back then. ---------------- Clarence
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

Right; I was using that to corroborate the info from the Ace 100 B+ Owners Handbook and Parts List also pictured which clearly states 15t secondary sprocket is the standard for this bike along with a 36t rear...when I get the 26mm deep socket which I have ordered I'll swap secondary sprockets and see if I can get some higher gears...
Dale

Post by Dale »

My guess is that the sprocket setup on this bike is the main if not the only issue here. I am pretty sure that the B+ came stock with the 14T/56T sprockets. It was a single sprocket with cushioned hub with no road/trail setup.

My first "new" motorcycle" was a B+ and it was the quickest small bore that I ever rode. It would pick up the front tire clear to fourth gear. I rode it on the highway and as I recall the cruising speed was 50+. Unfortunately that bike is long gone and I don't have any proof of the sprockets with the exception of a very poor photo that I have. This photo shows a rear sprocket in the order of 56T.
Stock Ace100 B+
Stock Ace100 B+
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

What is the frame number? Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I got a giggle out of Dale's comment about his hunnert picking up the front wheel through 4th gear.

The Ace engines were reasonably peppy, but when you throw in a teen age rider (known for caution and never known to actively search for ways to wheelie ;) ) - and when that teenager stands about 6 foot 6 inches (so his bum naturally ends up at the faaaaaarrrrrr back end of the seat 8-) ) on a short wheel base motorcycle . . . yeah, wheelies are going to be easy!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Bullfrog wrote:I got a giggle out of Dale's comment about his hunnert picking up the front wheel through 4th gear.

The Ace engines were reasonably peppy, but when you throw in a teen age rider (known for caution and never known to actively search for ways to wheelie ;) ) - and when that teenager stands about 6 foot 6 inches (so his bum naturally ends up at the faaaaaarrrrrr back end of the seat 8-) ) on a short wheel base motorcycle . . . yeah, wheelies are going to be easy!
Ed
Ouch! Yep, probably some truth there... but this bike did pull all the way through the gears.
Dale
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

Great to hear--thanks for the laughs...we'll find out soon enough when the socket arrives and I can pop that other sprocket on.
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

Clarence the frame is #69572; engine P61502
Dale

Post by Dale »

Sharing a post from the Hodaka Fan Group Facebook page regarding successful gearing of a B+... This gearing was providing a cruising speed of around 50 mph.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (12.08 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Dale
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

Duly noted; still waiting for the socket to change the sprocket! will report back when results are available.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

In reference to Dale’s cross post, my friend Doug had his Wombat geared to 16/47 also. He was able to top 80 mph, (I took it to 73, before I chickened out). He spent quite a bit of time and effort determining the best gear ratios relative to torque and horses. I came away finding that there probably is no “perfect ratio”, only a best ratio for its intended purpose. Doug wanted to go fast. I wanted to ride to the trail, then up the trail and back home. I have 15/52. But I can still travel 55+ mph if needed. Perfect for me.

I may have gotten off track, but I think that gear ratios are subjective to the rider/owner and doesn’t seem to be much point focusing on what is the “Golden Ratio”, (Pun intended for levity), only what is golden for you.

$0.02

Roger
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Exactly what Roger says. The "correct" gearing will depend on what you want the machine to do and what the machine in it's present state of tune is capable of doing.
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

Makes sense to me--thanks for the comments-david
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to all and especially to the folks who have answered this thread and helped me on my Hodaka journey; finally got a test run in this am with the 13T/36T combo sprockets and--success!!! I still didn't get any more speed out of these 100cc's but 4th gear now pulls just as did 3rd gear before; 5th is a bit anemic and kinda maintaining speed but not falling off completely as in the past; I am in search of the elusive 14t original countershaft sprocket and a 40's something rear to try out; I am very satisfied with 48-50mph as a top speed and suspect that to gain any more, if possible, will require strict adherence to all of the "purities" you guys mentioned in trying to sort out my issues; now it's a matter of fine tuning the engine and the gearing, but I am not trying to make this little beauty something it is not. Again, many thanks to all who have helped me and hopefully others who read this thread--cheers, david
cineburger

Post by cineburger »

A final followup...I was able to borrow a 46T rear sprocket to go with the 13t secondary sprocket which I installed; in freezing weather I was able to get all 5 gears pulling on my test ride today--halleluyah!! The gearing was a bit low for the flat roads around here so when my 14T front sprocket arrives I'll try that and keep whittling down the versions until I find one that works for what I think will be the majority of my riding. I'm guessing it will be 14/42 or 44...time will tell weather permitting. Otherwise the bike seems to run fine throughout the throttle range. Top speed is still what it was--a bit under 50 according to my speedo the accuracy of which I have not confirmed. Again, thanks to all who helped me in this enterprise, and I hope others have benefitted from our discussion.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Just remember, in real cold weather all other things being the same, your bike will run leaner. Cold air is denser than hot air.