CDI ignition options (besides PVL or Power Dyn)

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Beeker

CDI ignition options (besides PVL or Power Dyn)

Post by Beeker »

Trying to locate a complete Hodaka CDI system for my flat track 99 Toad is proving difficult. Has anyone swapped a stator plate and flywheel from another manufacturer? Been looking at kx60, ke100, yz100, elsinore 125 systems online but I dont have anything in my hands to actually compare. Also if someone has a complete Hodaka set-up they wouldn't mind selling, I would be interested.
dirty_rat

Re: CDI ignition options (besides PVL or Power Dyn)

Post by dirty_rat »

I have read that the complete 1976-1978 Honda CR 125 ignition system will fit on the Hodaka's with the larger taper crankshaft (I think that includes most of the 100's and 125's with the three magnet flywheel or factory CDI - not the early 100's with the 2 magnet flywheel). I have not done it so I can't comment one way or another.

I also saw a post on here where someone mentioned mounting a Kawasaki KX 65 ignition on a Hodaka, but it didn't mention year, etc.

As far as I can tell, if it fits to the crankshaft taper and fits the case mounts, most any system should work...as long as the timing can be set to proper specs. The only other worry would be in how much or little timing advance is built into the system.
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

Thanks, the year range helps. There's alot more ignition parts available for the Honda. HPI offers a system for the Cr125 and it is upgradable Post purchase. You can add dual maps and almost infinitely adjustable timing maps and rev limiting.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I have used an early CR125 ignition on a Combat Wombat and since the Toad uses essentially the same ignition as the CW it will work but there are a couple of problems you will encounter. The first is that the rotor keyway is in the wrong position. I used a dial indicator to set it up the timing and tightened the rotor nut without a key. As long as the nut is tight and the taper is clean it will not move. The next problem you will encounter is the coil is larger on the CDI system. You will need to fabricate a new bracket and/or do some welding to make the coil fit. Lastly, you will need to find a place to mount the CDI box. I mounted mine under the seat.

Brian
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Brian,
What were the results of your swap? Was it worth the effort in performance and or reliability? I have all the parts and have been considering whether or not to try it.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

gearyoliver wrote:Brian,
What were the results of your swap? Was it worth the effort in performance and or reliability? I have all the parts and have been considering whether or not to try it.
Hard to say. At the time I was looking for more power and less plug fouling on my Combat Wombat, but I made a reed valve conversion at the same time I installed the CDI so it is difficult to determine what improvements could be attributed to which modification.

Brian
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

I'm diggin the cr125 setup. The ignition was the last big hurdle in my engine build. The lack of a key way isn't a big deal. Sounds like some aftermarket ignitions don't even have a slot in the flywheel. Not enough mass to slip on the shaft I assume. Thanks for the input.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Actually, the keyway is only to align the rotor properly. The taper is what holds it on and keeps it from turning (as long as it is in good shape and the rotor hut is properly tightened). A classis example of how well the taper works can be seen on the early Husqvarna motorcycles. Their countershaft sprocket was held on and in place by the shafts taper (no splines).
hodakahunter

Post by hodakahunter »

Would anyone know what the dimensional differences are between the small and large crank tapers are? I have a 92 and wondering which one I would have. Would be looking for an ignition as well.

I use an HPI on my CB350 Roadracer and they are great systems! The backing plate for the 350 was custom to the model though. We might have to order a custom configuration of CR125 magnet, and a stator plate with bolt pattern that fits the Hodaka, as well as choosing the correct advance curve. I know nothing about 2T ignition theory, but will likely be studying it very soon!

dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

The model 92 (or Ace 100's, and all the rest of the early iron cylinder 100's, including the model 93 Super Rats) had the small taper. The Hodaka CDI (along with the Honda CR 125 CDI) will not fit them. PVL did make a CDI for those models.
hodakahunter

Post by hodakahunter »

Thanks. I wonder if they would sell a blank rotor and allow me to cut my own taper.