73 Wombat-94a Tire recommendation?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zombat

73 Wombat-94a Tire recommendation?

Post by Zombat »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I had a 1974 Dirt Squirt 100 as a kid; I remember it as my most fun to ride motorcycle. I got the urge to buy a Wombat, and just picked up a 1973 Wombat 94a that is in pretty decent shape; minimal rust; has been stored inside for most of its life. I even got it to fire up after cleaning the carburetor and feeding fuel from a temporary tank (still need to get the rust out of the original big chrome tank).

It still has the original Nitto tires on it. They have tread left, but they are cracking, etc… and need to be replaced. It appears that the selection of 3.50-18" rear tires out there is pretty slim. I am considering the dual sport IRC GP-1's; 3.50-18 for the rear, and either the 2.75-21 or 3.00-21 for the front.

The clearance between the original Nitto 3.50-18 and the chain guard is not very much (maybe ¼" or less), so I hesitate to go wider than 3.50" in the rear. It seems nowadays to get a good trials tire the minimum wide is 4.00"; so I am going to pass on the trials tire for now. Unless there are some relatively painless mods that can be made to increase the clearances (??? shorten the bushing on the brake side, and a washer/bushing with the same amount taken to the other side, and add stand-off bushings for the sprocket ??? Just a thought!).

Thoughts on the front tire? Would the 3.00-21 IRC GP-1 work good on the front, or should I stick with the 2.75" width?

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks, James
Dale

Re: 73 Wombat-94a Tire recommendation?

Post by Dale »

Look at the Shinko SR244 tire. It is similar to the IRC GP-1, but at almost half the price. This tire comes in 2.75x21 and 3.50x18 and fits the Wombat well. I would stick with the 2.75x21 for the front. I have used both brands of tires, but have only purchased the IRC when a size is needed that Shinko does not make...
Dale
Dale
Zombat

Post by Zombat »

Thanks Dale,

I have also been looking at the Shinko SR244's; and the Shinko trials SR241's as well.

Why the 2.75 rather than the 3.00 for the front? Would the smaller 2.75 tire steer better?

Thanks,
Dale

Post by Dale »

James,
My opinion on the width of the front tire is based on looks mostly. I like the smaller (original) widths. There are pros and cons with the different widths, but unless you are racing I doubt that they would come into play with the width that you choose.

Welcome to the group and enjoy that Wombat.

Dale
Dale
Zombat

Post by Zombat »

Hello again,

There is an article in the Resonator Revisited (Dec 2013) on building an AHRMA Classic Class 125cc enduro, where a Duro HF 335 4.10x18 tire was used for the rear, and a Bridgestone M59 was used for the front. I am currently thinking about getting these tires for my Wombat. Does anyone have any thoughts on these tires?

Fyi: The Wombat I bought has been stripped of lights, etc... (picture below as bought). I am thinking of just setting it up as a trail bike, and will not be riding on the street; therefore I am currently not planning on adding lights, etc... back to the bike. I guess I should have bought a Combat Wombat!

Thanks and regards,
James
Attachments
Hodaka-1.jpg
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

The carcass of the Duro 4.10-18 is very similar in size to a 3.50-18. The Cheng Shinn 755 4.10-18 fits well too and are still available. I have used both with good results and currently have the 755 on my Road Toad MXer. Several riders that I respect claim the Duro is a better choice though.
Ivan AKA "Pop"