Name this bike

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
gaustin70

Name this bike

Post by gaustin70 »

This is supposed to be a 1977, it is a 125, I'm trying to determine if this is a Wombat or Combat Wombat
Hodaka a.jpg
BrianZ

Re: Name this bike

Post by BrianZ »

The shift cover indicates that it is not a Combat Wombat. If it is a 125 it would have to be a heavily modified late model Wombat. The angle of the picture makes it difficult to judge.

Brian
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

I'm looking for a replacement piston kit for this bike, does the 9701560 Super Combat piston kit work for this bike? IF not, which is the correct piston kit?
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

Hodaka b.jpg
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

Hodaka c.jpg
Hodaka d.jpg
Hodaka e.jpg
Yamadaka

Post by Yamadaka »

What's the frame number?
Yamadaka

Post by Yamadaka »

It looks like an 03 wombat. I never saw one with a black tank and black fenders. A few things don't look right if it is an 03 wombat
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

The Combat Wombat was not still being made in 1977 and the left side case appears to be a model 03 Wombat. If it is an 03 the motor number (right front of the engine case) will start with a "Q". The Super Combat (model 97) piston will not work in the 03 as the 03 wrist pin is about 3 mm lower from the top of the piston. You can change the crank and rod to the 97 lower end and use the 97 piston. Someone else that has done this can give you exact instructions or search this forum and you may find it.

The 03 pistons are scarce but Strictly Hodaka has several sizes so check the parts list.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

Frame M30261, I think 03 Wombat is correct, what is the year?
Pep

Post by Pep »

The SH site has a model ID section - might help for sorting through the frame and engine numbers
Hodakas released models, not tied closely to specific years. On the early bikes, the frame tags had the model number and year printed on them - located at the stem between the forks. Not sure if the later models followed this, but probably so.
-Laurie
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

send link to model ID
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

found it :)
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

If the crank is good, finding the correct Model 03 piston is the cheapest way to go. If the crank is also bad, converting it using a Road Toad rod kit to accept the more common Wombat pistons would be the way to go.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

It is pretty evident that it is a Model 03 Wombat in stealth mode. (In the days of yore, I built up a couple of "stealth" machines -- all black.)

Nice looking machine!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
gaustin70

Post by gaustin70 »

Has only 1200 original miles, I was tooling along about 45 mph and just lost all compression, bike is 100% functional otherwise, trying to decide if I want to fix it or just sell it as is, I've only had it three weeks, I think I burned the rings or burned a hole in the piston. I'm wondering if the oil injection isn't working correctly, if I fix it, I'd likely disable oil injection and run pre-mix. I'd take $900 for it as is, otherwise, I'll drop a new piston in and change it to pre-mix.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Good luck with that idea. Just being real, yea you know to disable the oil injection you need to split the cases.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and it isn't likely that lack of oil from the oil injection system is at the root of the problem. It is far more likely that an air leak caused a lean condition which holed the piston.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

The left crank bearing on the 03 is oiled directly from the injection system, therefore as Kelly (socalhodaka) said it is recommended that an oil hole be drilled from the left transfer port to the bearing (like all the premix models have) and the case has to be separated to do that. I have 2 model 03s and I elected to use the injection system on both and it works fine. I had the cases apart to install new bearing and seals so I drilled the hole just in case I wanted to go to the premix in the future.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Nice looking bike. If it were mine I would remove the head and cylinder and inspect resulting damage. You could post pictures and we could assist in getting you going again. If indeed you do have a lean running condition due to an air leak the most likely suspect is the left crankshaft seal. The seal is located under the ignition cover on the left side of the bike. After removing the cover you would have to remove the flywheel and ignition assy. You would need a flywheel puller for the job. I think Paul / Strictly Hodaka has some 03 Wombat piston kits.
Danny Cooke