250Ed kick starter

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hosk1956

250Ed kick starter

Post by Hosk1956 »

OK fella's, this has me beat for now, before I tackle it again, has anybody got any tips on getting the damn kick starter back onto the shaft?
I have had the motor out, the side cover is off to be able to swing the shaft around once the spring is in place and the kick start is onto the shaft.
But the kick starter won't swing past the foot peg mount when fully on, I have tried only having the shaft part way on the shaft so it will clear the foot peg brackets (foot peg is removed), but then either the spring won't stay in place or the dirt collar comes out of its recess in the crank case and won't go back in, grrrrr.
It sort of looks like I should have put the kick starter lever onto the motor before I fitted the motor into the frame, but I don't want to take the motor out again, any suggestions.
As I write this I am thinking I may be able to loosen and remove all but one of the engine mount bolts and swing the motor up enough for the kick starter to clear the footpeg mounts.
I have discovered this is the one and only Hodaka Thunderdog feature I don't like!

Wayne from Oz
Hosk1956

Re: 250Ed kick starter

Post by Hosk1956 »

All good, a beer and some perseverance got that sucker on, I just wasn't trying hard enough!

Wayne from Oz
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The lubricating properties of beer are really quite something, aren't they?
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Actually, I find the lubricating qualities of rum are far better but I didn't think I needed to be that lubricated! LOL

Wayne from Oz
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Try 3 in 1 - Shot of Jack, beer back, and a good cigar. Positively lubricious.