New fuel petcocks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
mark heckman

New fuel petcocks

Post by mark heckman »

Is there a special trick to threading the new petcocks I bought into the tank so that they line up with the shut off valve facing out when they are tightened ? I can't seem to make them face out,only in when I screw them into the tank.With the first set I bought having the wrong threads & now this problem with the new petcocks I'm going CRAZY !!! The petcocks are the new reproduction pot metal ones,not brass. Bike is a 1973 Wombat
rlkarren

Re: New fuel petcocks

Post by rlkarren »

Extra fiber washers or sand your existing ones thinner will allow you to index them so that they face outward
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Option B. Snug them down properly and let the chips fall where they may. Even if the valve handle faces inward I can still reach it. Then I smartly tell myself that I prefer inward-facing handles because they are less susceptible to snagging, impact, or other mayhem and move on to the next thing. I also like my sockets arranged so that the big one is on the right which I'm told suggests a deeper underlying problem with me. Beware!
mark heckman

Post by mark heckman »

Thanks for the tips Matt. I figured that putting more washers on would do the trick. As far as turning them to the inside, I used to do that to the bikes when I raced motocross back in the mid 70's. I too like my sockets arranged as you do !!! The weird thing is the old petcocks screw right in the correct way every time.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Here I did a video on just that, lining up your petcock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPIzn4lju3Y
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

href="http://youtu.be/aPIzn4lju3Y">youtu.be/aPIzn4lju3Y
mark heckman

Post by mark heckman »

All is good. I ended up using the old fiber washers & a bit of sealant and it worked fantastic.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Excellent Mark. To paraphrase The Captain, "Keep the big socket on the right". :lol:
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

To get my Petcocks clocked Perfect, I add 1 or 2 Holley Needle and Seat Gaskets. They sell them made from Nylon and Paper. Works for me! Joe Ormonde.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

???? "Keep the big socket on the right" ????

Keep the rubber side down - Yes. Still tryin' to figger out, "Keep the big socket on the right" . . . 8-)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Its like the "big socket" is the "rubber side" and the "right side" becomes "down". That's how we roll here in Mattyland. :lol: