Tire choice

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Yamadaka

Tire choice

Post by Yamadaka »

I have a Wombat 94. I'd like to get a new set of knobby tires. 3.00 x 21 and 3.50 x 18. Any recommendations???
Yamadaka

Re: Tire choice

Post by Yamadaka »

Are there many old school 3.50 x 18 tires still out there????
Pep

Post by Pep »

I haven't looked, but I'm pretty sure there's a tire discussion on a couple of threads here - might have the info you need.
I've got 100/100 on my 125 racers, which some folks feel is two wide for a small bore. No chain or swing arm clearance problems, but I don't use a chain guard, and it's a tight space with one of those on.
Hope that helps,
-Laurie
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Don Daugherty, one of the Hodaka Club's long time members runs a business called All Moto Tire and he has some 3.50-18 and 2.75-21 motocross tires made by Vee Rubber. I have a set but I have not installed them yet so I really can't say how good they are. They look good if that matters and they are reasonable. Check them out: http://zwvoq.xqehl.servertrust.com/Sear ... Search.y=0
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Cheng Shin and Duro still both make 4.10-18 knobbies which are very close in carcass size to the 3.50-18 tires. I have run them on my Road Toad with no clearance issues and they are much easier for the motor to turn than a 100/100-18.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I would suggest that it is best to re-install the chain guard. I've seen shifter cases AND left side center cases damaged too many times due to the "conveyor belt effect". (tire conveys mud/rocks to the chain, chain conveys mud/rocks to the countershaft sprocket . . . mud/ROCKS pop the shifter case off) Ouch.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I sure agree with Ed here on the chain guard I have seen engines ruined by chains coming off and I think any chain guard is better than none . Clarence
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

In my opinion removing chain guards is the reason shifter cases are so hard to find. I have a couple destroyed ones in my stock and I didn't do it.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.