Brooks is broken

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rdbrooks14

Brooks is broken

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Howdy Y'all,

While down at my vineyard I crashed my modern dirt bike last Saturday. I managed to snag a vine in the woods, not in the vineyard, and it body slammed my bike.

I went over the high side and landed on my right shoulder and face. I broke my collarbone and heard it snap when it happened! So after seeing the orthopedic doctor yesterday, I found out I'm going to need reconstructive surgery as the bone is broken in three places and distended.

So my racing season is over before it began and it looks like I will be out until the fall. I do plan on coming to the Hodaka Days still but it looks like I will be a pedestrian so far.

Just wanted to let the folks that know me know while not at the races this year. Dang I was really looking forward to this season too.

Of course this was the right arm and I am right-handed. It was a blast driving my manual transmission car home from North Carolina on Tuesday! But you do what you got to do!

Cheers!

Bob in Maryland

PS. Dictated this in a speech to text application and it seems to be working really well :-)
Bob in MD
39F
kentm

Re: Brooks is broken

Post by kentm »

Hi Bob, that is a bummer but I may have good news for you. Having surgery and getting the breaks "pinned" is a good thing. Recovery is much faster than the old way of doing nothing and waiting 12 weeks to ride. My brother just had his done (5 breaks), damn modern bikes, he was riding and back on the job as a firefighter in 3 weeks. You may be good to for June. Good luck.
pungo

Post by pungo »

Ouch, broke my collar bone a year ago, lucky left side. A 1mph toss off my BW200 in a dried rut, tire went in and did not want to come out, over I went. Did not even know I broke it until 15min later when I could feel it clicking inside, then I started feeling light headedd

Took forever to heal, that goes with age. No surgery for me as everything I read said unless its sticking out of you there is little they can do, just fix your arm in a sling and wait 6-8 weeks min.

Killed my riding season but at least it was in Aug vs now.

Gives you time to do other things.
MWL

Post by MWL »

Bob
Sorry to hear that. Get well soon. I had plans to go to White Lightning but my lower back issues flared up a couple of days before the event. I've been doing my PT and walking on the treadmill to get back in shape. I'm still planning to ride the Perry Mtn 2-day. I think I'll be ready.......
Mike
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Thanks all. FYI. This was not a normal break. It was crushed it fragments. The orthopedic doctor said there was a 0 percent chance of positive outcome without surgery. He has to put a bar in! Good times.
Bob in MD
39F
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Sorry to hear that, and with spring here your timing couldn't be much worse. Anyway, take the time to heal, use meds to get through the rough bit after surgery, and try to make it to Hodaka Days.

Brian
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Brian,

Yes was really poor timing indeed. But what the heck, gives me time to focus on the vineyard this year. Doc says I may be able to race in the fall.. All good. Considering the damage done to the shoulder and I knew the minute I broke mine as I heard it break and the bone is sticking up}, I am glad to be in as good as shape as I am Lol

I am indeed planning on Going to Hodaka Days! Gotta pick up my book LoL

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

:mrgreen: :D :o :oops: This only shows we are all mortals, its man against gods creations, vines, and the Vines won this time. Bob this has happened to a lot of us through the years, please take it easy and get lots of rest, I know you will temped to ride something at Hodaka days but please get well first. We need both your hands to type info into forum. See you at Hodaka days, Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDaho :roll: :roll:
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Pep

Post by Pep »

Well, shoot - there goes our plan for two-up in the MX at Hodaka Days...
Hope you get healed fast - sorry to hear about the injury. I'm sure you'll be of great value to your brother, since now you can focus on all of his race mistakes! :lol:
See you in June,
Laurie
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Laurie,

I know there goes your secret weapon this year!

See you out there!

I will try to continue to coax my bro out there!

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
Dale

Post by Dale »

Wait a minute. I am confused. Wouldn't riding two-up be Bob's best opportunity to race? I think two-up racing is definitely the way to go...
Dale
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

See why I vowed to only ride vintage machines? (Except when an ISDT veteran makes me trade bikes for a while.) Vintage machines know to stay clear of things that reach out and grab you.

Ed
PS: Hope the recovery is quick!
Keep the rubber side down!
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Here is cam of crash. You can see the vine right before I go down... Not so hidden but not very big either... Crazy..

You also get a quick glimpse of the vineyard ;-)

TTR-125L 2006

http://youtu.be/xbohe0niaEs
Bob in MD
39F
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

FYI, didn't get through the creek after the crash. You had to hit it pretty hard to get through and up so I got stuck. Had to leave bike in creek and get up that big hill and walk out of woods - about .5 miles or so... My son rode my bike out later. Impressive considering he had not a bike before. Well he did once when he was 11 or so, crashed, and never wanted to ride again... I am glad he did as it would not have been there for long - seems there is a lot of Razor traffic back there on my land..
Bob
Bob in MD
39F
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Bob,

Bad luck. I feel your pain. Broke my ankle in 2006 at the end of the trials season. 2 months in a cast. After hearing of your break, I have decided not to do any more off road riding this year until after Hodaka Days. I don't want anything to prevent me from doing all the things I plan to to do there. Heal well and follow your doctor's orders.

Rick
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Bob

My hat is off to you for actually picking up your bike and attempting to ride it out of the woods.....can hardly imagine the amount of pain you experienced. Any experienced off-road biker will have plenty of similar stories to tell, but very few will have the video proof. I guess you could consider yourself lucky in this respect if you have the "glass half full" outlook.
Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have a speedy recovery so you can resume riding again as soon as possible.

Tom

p.s. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone had a place to ride in their backyard like you have.
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Thanks All, Yep that place is a Dream come true! I just got it last Fall. Not only the land with trails but a working vineyard with a Cabin and a beautiful Log Barn.

Glass is completely full! I am good and glad to be vertical and breathing. I will get better and get right back out there!!! I am definitely blessed!

Life is good. See all you guys out there in Athena!

Bob in MD

PS. Thanks for the props getting on the bike. I would have gotten it out of there if I could have gotten through that creek. I just could not blast the approach and risk a chance of going down so got it stuck LoL
Bob in MD
39F
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Went to the Doctor today for follow-up and staple remove.

I just felt screwed after viewing the xrays! LoL All good so far, another 7 weeks or so in sling!
Collarbone Bar Xray4.jpg
Collarbone Bar Xray2.jpg
Collarbone Bar Xray.jpg
Bob in MD
39F
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I was just about to ask for an update. And there it is. Yup, it looks to me like you are screwed alright - multiple times!

Be patient and heal well.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Feel screwed after seeing the X-Rays...or when you wrote the check? ;)
-Laurie
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Laurie,

XRays for now. Have not gotten bills yet but I am sure that screwed feeling will eclipse my current one!

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Update,

Just in from Doc at 30 day post op check. Mending is proceeding nicely. Out of sling in 2 weeks and clear for PT in two more hopefully!

Should be functional for Hodaka Days. No contact sports for 90 days so MAYBE one race at end of season!!!! I hope!

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Bob,

Would you be able to ride the Bad Rock?

Rick Mott
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

RIck,

Don't know for sure. Would love, love, love to do it. I see the doctor on the 15th of June for final XRay and clearance... He said not contact sports for 90 days so playing on the Redskins is out.

Bob
Bob in MD
39F
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Rick,

I am out of the sling and two winged now. It all feels weird but does not hurt too much.

Looks like I could do the Bad Rock. If I only had a bike LOL. I don't think I could do MX but a nice ride would be fun!!!

That is Friday right?

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F