Identifing 125 engines

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Crazy Horse 124

Identifing 125 engines

Post by Crazy Horse 124 »

I purchased a Hodaka yesterday. I bought it because I was told it was a 125. Its a red frame build date June 1970 so I assume its a 100 frame, but it has an engine that has a larger looking cylinder and it just says Hodaka on the covers, not Ace 100 or Ace 90. Its a project bike and I wanted the 125 engine. Also it has a different style kick starter that fold in under the exhaust pipe. How do I tell for sure its a 125 motor?

I also have a 1974 Indian ME100 with the Fuji motor. What parts are interchangeable between the Fuji 100 and the Ace 100 motors?
Thy look alike and of course both made by Fuji.

Thanks

Bruce
thrownchain

Re: Identifing 125 engines

Post by thrownchain »

There should be a number on the right front engine case, with that number you can ID the motor. There is also a number on the frame for the same purpose. Either should start with a letter then a number. The number will give you the model which will give you motor size. So get back with the letters. We can help.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

The engine number on the case will only identify the origins of the cases themselves. Much of the 100/125 engines will cross fit to the point of not really knowing what you have.

On the bottom of the cylinder, below the fins, will be a number cast into the metal. It will either be a 98 or a 123 if memory serves. This is the displacement in cc's.
Hydraulic Jack
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Or he could have a Webco set up.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

The Webco cylinder also has the cc's cast into the cylinder base below the fins. In my limited experience, every Japanese bike has displacement info cast into the cylinder so that it can be seen from the outside of the engine.
Hydraulic Jack
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Very slim chance it would be Webco like 10,000 to one. Clarence
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Probably right. But knowing you can look at the cylinder base to confirm displacement should answer the OP's question.

As for which parts swap between Fuji and Hodaka, I think I have heard on this forum that there are not many exchangeable parts. Anyone know?
Hydraulic Jack
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I think he wanted a 125 engine? Crazy Horse what are the engine numbers at the front of the engine, on the right side beside the exhaust. Don't count on parts interchanging. I will check on that someday. -----------Clarence