1973 Wombat 94a?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rlkarren

Re: 1973 Wombat 94a?

Post by rlkarren »

Sorry, I have to disagree. I see a bike worth much more than what I see in the comments.

It is true that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay and the parts alone will add up to well over $1000.

The engine is complete. Sure, I don't know it's condition without a few more photos, but an engine that actually turns over is a huge plus for me. At least something is moving in there. I don't see a lot of rust, anywhere, so chances are good that the engine is good. I would not be surprised to see a $500 price tag on the engine alone as long as the cylinder and piston are still good. And.. if the cylinder and piston are still in good shape, bearings, seals, gaskets,and o-rings can be purchased for less than $100. If the piston and cylinder are still in good shape I would definitely use them. No need to bore unless the cylinder is out of spec. These parts are getting scarce and can only be bored so many times.

The rims not being correct is not a negative. Those are Model 98 Super Rat rims, evidenced by the black hubs. Try to find a pair of those for less than $300. Besides alloy rims are more desirable; at least for me.

The other missing parts are not budget breakers. Air cleaners and battery brackets are still available on eBay, (RT, DS and Wombat all used the same Air cleaner, different paint job). Not to mention Paul, Dan, and Bruce's used parts supply.

What I see, I would guess $800 minimum. If I were still in the market, I would still feel like that would be a great deal.

But... it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. but then again,... you also improve your chances of finding that person if you are not a hurry to sell.

$0.02

Roger
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

A few simple things to ask, what is the compression, are the handle bars straight, is the stub below the sprocket still there. How is the chain and sprockets, do the wheels spin true? How tight is the shifter. ------------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

In theory, I agree with everything you say Roger. For whatever reason, there seems to be a reversal of the concept of synergy where the whole is worth less than the sum of its parts. The running Wombat I mentioned that I paid $435 for had a sweet Bassani pipe on it that routinely sells for over half as much as the whole bike cost me. I also wasn't trying to suggest a low-ball price point. I was only sharing my recent experience with a similar bike purchase and encouraging keeping it intact as its already nearly complete and would take little to return it to service - at the very least as a fun play bike and quite probably beyond that. Of course, someone will argue the point that by parting that bike out, perhaps 3 or 4 other projects could be brought one step closer to completion :? . You are absolutely right though. There is easily over $1000 worth of parts there, but can take awhile to convert value to cash.
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

So by now, Poiu, you see what it's like to throw chum in the water on this site. Hodaka guys are notorious cheapskates. I know because I'm one of them. My guess is that you'll find someone to take your Wombat off your hands for $500-$600, and you've already given plenty of information on it's condition. I don't know any serious Hodaka buyer who actually expects to buy a bike like yours with no expectation of rebuilding the motor. For people like us, it's fun and it's easy; we LIKE doing it. And let's be real, fellas--a lot of us already have mountains of parts that offset the price of the final build, whatever it is. As for someone wanting to knock your price down because he's too far away, well that's just too bad for him--it's not your problem. List it locally on Craigslist and it'll sell soon enough. And no, you won't have to wait until next summer. That's just stooooopid. Notice when you mentioned parting it out that all of a sudden it became clear that you should keep it together (which, by the way, would be my preference) but that decision is entirely yours because, well...IT'S YOUR BIKE. Did you feel the mild panic set in? If I've offended anyone, good. I'm a Hodaka guy from way back, and I've always really liked this community. But what I've seen here is just over the top. Back off you guys, and let's just see if we can't be of help to the newbie for cryin' out loud (and I mean that with all due respect).
Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

"A man must know his limitations."
JackM

Post by JackM »

Keep it and rejuvenate it is the word I like to use. Complete restoration would be pricey. If you decide to sell it, don't let them low ball you. Its worth more than some of the prices I've seen on here. As Thrownchain says, it would make someone a great project bike.
Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Thanks for all the responses. I'll post it on craigslist later and see if anyone in Minnesota is interested. If anyone wants a link to the ad or better pictures to see if it's worth their time feel free to pm me.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Bill, again, I was only sharing a fairly recent experience. I'm not wishing a low-ball deal on anyone. For point of reference, there is a M94 Wombat for sale right now on ebay for $700. Its much more complete in terms of stock form. It is missing the speedo, it doesn't have the cool mud-catcher rims, and has the standard shifter case chain damage. If Poiu's was available next summer, I'd give $500-600 for it in a heartbeat. But again, like you said, I have literally all the parts to rebuild the motor and return it to stock configuration four times over in my parts stash.
Poiu

Post by Poiu »

If I still have it at the end of spring I'll let you know.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Cool. thank you!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

And I can haul to HD if needed.
givergas

Post by givergas »

there it is ,Minneapolis craigs list
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Your CL ad says you would be interested in trades, what might you be looking for?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I like the super rat listed for $150 and the 03 for $450. Looks like a good area for buying hodaka's Clarence
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Bill in Virginia--

The comments by the others were civil, and were simply the personal opinions of those others, which is about all you can get from a public forum. What is over the top is calling anyone, much less another forum member, "stooopid." There are any number of folks here that have been running Hodakas for 40+ years, but frankly, time in grade doesn't always equal expertise.

Simply because there could be, maybe, $1K in parts sitting there doesn't mean that the time and effort needed to mine those parts will yield $1K. Parting out any vehicle is time and money consuming. Nor can you fault a potential buyer for starting the conversation on the low side.

The bottom line is that the OP's question was next to impossible to answer, for the reasons pointed out -- that there wasn't enough information to make an informed answer. And even if information was at hand, the answers would still have covered a broad range because there is no one clear and correct answer. Even a one year old Toyota Camry with 5,000 miles will be listed on KBB with a broad range of price due to the inevitable unknowns.

So even though the original question was about impossible to answer as posed, still lots of folks at least tried to answer and to offer some context for their answers. This, to my mind, is not over the top. Rather, it was an honest attempt at a difficult challenge.

Compare this as well to the comment that there is a Super Rat and a Wombat 03 in the area selling for $450 or less, and the value of a stripped down Wombat 94A drops a bit by comparison, in the market in which it is offered, and the "low ball" values seem to me to come back into line.

To the original poster, I wish you well in selling your bike. The values offered above are to me not out of line. Research on Craigslist and other online sources will offer you comparitive prices which you can adjust for condition and location, but the answer is still going to be vague and cover a lot of ground. The Wombat 94A was not the crown jewel of the Hodaka line. Recently, a Hodaka 250 went for a year or more on Craigslist and eBay, and at the end of the day, the guy could not give the bike away. So potential values notwithstanding, you can only get what is ultimately offered. Good luck.
Hydraulic Jack
Poiu

Post by Poiu »

thrownchain wrote:Your CL ad says you would be interested in trades, what might you be looking for?
Not really looking for anything in particular, cool stuff?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The sweeeeet deal is the 03 Wombat for $450 just north of Minneapolis.