Organizing

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

Organizing

Post by givergas »

just thought id throw this out there to you that do rebuilds and see if you have any tips on staying organised. as im taking apart i clean as i go, like the fuel line took it off and cleaned the clips and put them in a zip lock bag labeled them as there labeled in the manual, same with air cleaner bolts and so forth , im pretty good at taking apart and putting back together, but time fly's by and the brain cells are not helping at all im retired and pretty laid back, so in six months or so when it goes back together. well you get the idea.
Attachments
IMG_5212.JPG
taber hodaka

Re: Organizing

Post by taber hodaka »

Many parts to Minnesota what part are you in? I like your bike stand. ---------------Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

little falls, two hours north of Minneapolis. the stand has wheels and moves very easy. dont like to buy if i can make it . just yesterday i found that i can hang tools on the sides another bonus ............... albert
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Since you clearly understand camera/computer interfacing, use that skill set to your advantage. Take a million pictures during the performance of any given operation and title them in sequence (eg "clutch pack disassembly step 1" and so on). Keep each operation in a separate electronic "folder". Take different angles. Then reverse the order for a step-by-step visual reference for the reassembly process.

PS - My folks bought a little fishing cottage about 20 minutes north of Grand Rapids, MN. I like to hit the deer trails and fire roads and get in a hare scramble or two each summer. Any takers?
givergas

Post by givergas »

Good advice definitely will do with the carburetor and gear stuff. I got a new SD card for the camera and is only for this project can't take too many pictures
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Good call. Its really helpful.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

One thing I like to do is to put bolts & nuts back on the parts from which they came off, where ever possible. If that’s not possible, then o do like you do & put them in zip lock bags and label the bags with a sharpie! Makes it easier to keep track of things for sure!

I also like to lay parts out on my work bench in the order they were removed, from left to right. When reassembled, I can just go from right to left and also use the explodes parts diagrams in the manual or parts book.

The only real problem I have is keeping my garage & work bench in order. That happens because I tend to work on things for hours st a time and then have to stop with urgency when I have to wash up & leave or go in for dinner. I end up cleaning the garage & bench really well when done with a project. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

I tend to get side tracked and although I have some good habits I tend to be.... let's say messy. But when it comes to a part that needs to be done right I will stay on task the camera and zip lock bags sounds like a plan? I don't have a work bench just for this project. but if I get bumped from my part time job by my bosses 15 year old kid this winter , let's hope, I will clean up and get it done
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

if your re-plating the fasteners take an inventory using a spreadsheet with the measurements of each fastener also take pictures of each fastener group (front forks, front wheel, tank etc...) that way when you get your fasteners back after plating you can re-sort them to the appropriate bike parts..takes a little extra time but you will save that time when reassembling.
bob
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Yours looks about like mine does right now! I'm taking lots of pictures close up and farther away for each section I'm working on dismantling, and then putting the parts in labeled plastic Ziploc bags. I ordered one of those ultrasonic cleaners so when that arrives, I'll clean the parts and re-bag them, then put in separate bins based on which section of the bike the parts belong. I like Victor's suggestion of putting the nuts and bolts back on where they go after removing something, too, and have done that with the seat bolts and fuel tank bolts.

Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of which size bolt goes where?
Attachments
5 hodaka.jpg
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

hodakagirl wrote:...
Does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of which size bolt goes where?
Yes. If you go to Strictlyhodaka.com or Hodaka-parts.com. Find the "shop by schematic" section and find your model. This will give you exploded diagram of different sections of the bike. Clicking on one of those will bring up a parts list. The bolt sizes are coded into the part number for the bolts.

for example part number (11)1022 is a 10mm bolt 22mm long
(46)0645 is a 6mm screw 45mm long.
(10)0820 is an 8mm bolt 20mm long.

I don't know what the number in Parenthesis means though. But can you see the pattern? The only thing not coded is thread pitch. But that would be easy to determine.

another $0.02

Roger

Oops, Ed caught it. Thank you sir!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Um, that last part number is for an eight mm bolt, not a six mm bolt. ;)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Bullfrog wrote:Um, that last part number is for an eight mm bolt, not a six mm bolt. ;)
Ed
Good catch, Ed! I was a little confused... thank you for that info, Roger :)

Givergas, are you doing a total restore? Are you cleaning/re-plating or are you replacing nuts and bolts? Just curious. Wondering how brittle/strong old bolts are after 40-50 years.
givergas

Post by givergas »

i was going to do a full restore but thats not realy for me. got to thinking i will get it cleaned up and put in good mechanical shape, it looks like i will be going through everything and thats what i like doing, as far as nuts and bolts most are in need of some help so as im going through the bike when i take a part apart like for instance the rear fender i will drop the nuts , bolts washers in vinegar let them sit for a time take them out wire brush the rust off of them clean in warm soapy water then drop them in marvel mystery oil and wipe them down then i can check for damage, bad threads , rounded heads, right or wrong thats how im doing it if some thing needs replace i will . good question and answer about the bolts albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

hodakagirl yea were pretty close to the same time frame im draging my feet till the manual comes.should be this week did get "harry hears a hodaka". yes pictures are my friends more the merrier
Attachments
IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5461.JPG
hodakagirl

Post by hodakagirl »

Wow, that's a greasy, dirty mess! I haven't yet opened that up, but plan to this weekend. Then we can see who's bike is dirtier, lol. I did remove the chain - luckily the master link was the 3rd one I checked. I had to scrape a layer of grime off of each link to find it.

How are you planning to remove all that gunk? Any special products? I've heard about that Marvel Mystery Oil but haven't tried it. A friend suggested it for removing carbon deposits in the top end when I was decoking my scooter, so it must be good stuff.

Do you have one of those ultrasonic cleaners for the small stuff, like the carb and other small parts? I have one coming tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it works.
givergas

Post by givergas »

im looking for a parts washer or ill make some thing. then use some" crown PSC 1000 " part washer fluid. the ultrasonic cleaner sounds to high tec for me