Wheel Balancing

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
efkruger

Wheel Balancing

Post by efkruger »

I have never balanced any of my dirt bike wheels after I put tires on. I just restore them and put them aside to look pretty. I don't ride the ones I restore either. I have well used bikes for enjoyment riding. What do some of you guys in the Hodaka world have to say about this. It would seem to me that balancing would cut down on some vibration. But on a dirt bike I would think that it would not be noticeable. Let me hear some opinions on this please. Thanks gentlemen
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Wheel Balancing

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Depends on how fast your dirt bike can go. Anything over 40 or 45 and your wheels can hop, even on a dirt bike. Since mine will do 62 geared for moto, the wheels are balanced.
Hydraulic Jack
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Thanks Jack, Do you use weights on the spokes or do you use another method for balancing them?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I've never balanced my wheels . . . but I have "loped" across a dry lake bed at full throttle and high speed! Somehow balancing the wheels never became a noticeable enough problem to warrant attention. NOTE: 90 percent of miles traveled have been off-road, with the vast majority of miles at wayeeee less than power peak RPM and in gears below 5th. :-)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I have never noticed loping or a wheel out of balance when I ride the bikes that I do ride around our place. Its so rugged here, high speed is not possible. I guess when I restore the ACE 90 I have and the 92B I will balance those wheels as they will be riden on the street also.
I have not balanced my wheels on the model 93's because I don't like the look of those weights fastened on the spokes. Those bikes will not be riden anyway, if I let the shiny side get down here, it would do some bad damage. Its very rocky here in central Texas.
This forum is the best thing for information, thank you gentlemen!
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

I have heard that there is a liquid that will balance a wheel when you install it in the inner tube of a wheel. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks Gentlemen
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

My Wombat front bounced bad, I went to the cycle salvage and pulled off a bunch of old lead weights. Just did the DYI in the garage, let the front wheel find the heavy spot by how it stopped after a few spins then countered that with the lead.
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

yes, let it spin and find the heavy spot when it stops, sound good. that's what I will do if I notice bouncing and or vibration. Thanks
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Sometimes the tire is not seated uniformly all around. Rim locks can off balance the wheel as well as dented rims.---Clarence
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

That's a good suggestion also, I will check to see if my tires are seated properly all around. I do check them for straightness. I have had a few that I had to straighten. thanks
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

efkruger wrote:Thanks Jack, Do you use weights on the spokes or do you use another method for balancing them?
Tape weights.
Hydraulic Jack
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

Tape weights, good idea. That's what I wanted to know. Thanks Jack
efkruger

Post by efkruger »

This forum is the best source of information.