Road Toad .... light questions ....

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Alberta Mike

Road Toad .... light questions ....

Post by Alberta Mike »

Well, after several months of being away from my 76 Road Toad, got her fired up yesterday after 25 years of looking at it. The kick starter issue I had posted about earlier isn't a problem, first time was done by a push and since then, she fires right up with not much of a kick. I was a bit worried about a knee replacement last fall but it's not much of a kick to get it done.

Anyways, the lights ..... I have a completely dead battery, probably 40 years old but it is installed and wired in. When running, the headlight works and so does the dimmer switch. All of the bulbs are single filament, both front and rear signals and the bulb in the tail light assembly. I have some questions ...

1) I am guessing that the signal lights are signal lights only .... and NOT any kind of a running light correct?

2) When I activate the signal light switch to L or R, the bulbs go on but only dimly and they do not flash.

3) Neither the front or the rear brake activates any rear light changes. When the bike is running, the rear tail light is lit up when the bike runs. How can a single filament bulb be used for a tail light and also a brake light. Never heard of this before, I was expecting a double filament bulb would be in there.

4) When running, the horn does not work.

I'm wondering if the absence of a functioning battery might be part of an explanation?
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Road Toad .... light questions ....

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Needs a battery. Headlight runs on AC direct from alternator. Everything else is D.C. off the battery. While it should and likely does make DC current when running, without a working battery in there, things simply won't work as intended. Hence turns may light dimly but not flash. Not enough current. Charging system is trying to revive the battery and can't.

Replace with a good lead acid type or SLA if you can find a 6V in the 4ah range. I think that is what it takes but you could also look it up. I prefer the SLA type myself because they don't leak, can run in any position, and weigh less. Also usually a lot cheaper and will last longer if you are nice to them.
Hydraulic Jack
Alberta Mike

Post by Alberta Mike »

Thanks Jack ..... I see the owner's manual says GN4-2A ...... I'll hunt one down. More common showing up on web searches is a 6N4-2A .... not sure if that would be the same or not with the 6 replacing the G in the code. Certainly looks the same, just a tiny little thing. Who knows what those numbers mean, I suspect the 2A might mean two amps?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Your tail light should be a dual filament bulb. I believe I'm running a 6V 5/15W bayonet base bulb. I'm not sure if that is the stock specs but that's what I had and it works fine.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Your tail light should be a dual filament bulb. I believe I'm running a 6V 5/15W bayonet base bulb. I'm not sure if that is the stock specs but that's what I had and it works fine.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

GN4-2A is a 4ah battery. I think the 2A refers to a physical size category but don't know for sure. The spec sheet lists the battery as a 4amp hour battery.

As far as individual lamps go, test each for function. But until you have a good battery in the loop, it isn't easy to verify things are working right.
Hydraulic Jack
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Tail light is an 1154 bulb, dual filament. It's a modern equivalent. Stop by your local auto parts store and ask for one. 1154 should still be in stock.