SL175/03 Wombat mash-up

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

SL175/03 Wombat mash-up

Post by matt glascock »

I have a nice 03 roller and a 175 SL engine. Would the likelihood of these entities forming a meaningful, lasting relationship be less than, equal to, or greater than the possibility of a loving relationship stemming from a hot blind date involving Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnell? In other words, how big a hassle would it be to mount an SL175 plant in an 03 Wombat frame?
Hydraulic Jack

Re: SL175/03 Wombat mash-up

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Can you weld?
Hydraulic Jack
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Jack, my welding chops are what I would consider basic. Ditto on brazing. If we are talking about welding on a few engine mounting brackets or similar, I'm good to go. If cutting and welding the frame is in order, I'm tight with a pro and would leave it to him. I have a basic gas/wire-feed welder and oxy-acetylene torch set-up. DIY quality gear.
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Hey Matt
That sounds like a good idea to me!
I recall seeing a picture of something similar to that in Hodaka racing colours photographed in a wheat field near Athena Oregon.
I believe it was made by Greg? at California Hodaka? There was a nice looking lady in the photo as well.
Someone else out there please correct me if I am wrong.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Since you have both the Wombat and the 175 engine, try setting the 175 into the Wombat frame. You will see immediately if it is simply a matter of redoing engine mounts to orient the engine output shaft in the same location as the original, or if surgery is needed.
Hydraulic Jack
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I looked at the possibilities of doing this a couple years ago trying to make a more powerful, lighter vintage racer. Seems to me I remember the drive sprocket location on the 175 being directly in line with the 03 swing arm pivot. Same for the 250 engine, which the 175 is designed from. It was going to require lowering or raising the engine in the frame so radically, or relocating the 03 swing arm so much that the resulting handling characteristics would have been a crap shoot. Plus the 175 and 250 engines weighed considerably more than a 125. That idea went out to pasture pretty quickly. There are expert builders and designers in Hodakaland who could probably do it, but it was beyond my skill level.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thanks fellas. Sounds intimidating. I know on my 250 ED and SL there are about 223,250 shims and spacers involved in engine mounting and was hoping that some clever manipulation of same would result in a bolt-on amped up Wombat. I also, on occasion, buy a Powerball Lottery ticket. Sounds like chances at success are about equal between the two. It could be a cool project for a top shelf wrench. I believe Hodaka Dave built a 175 racer he called the Wolverine but I'm not sure if that was built on an ED/SL roller or something he modded. Back to the drawing board for this one. I don't like the notion of elevating the center of gravity on a race bike and that would be a lot of work just to end up with a bike that doesn't handle. The good news - 03 forks for my Combat :-)
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Well, guys have put V-8 engines in drag bike frames, so anything is possible, but I am not surprised to hear that it isn't easy to swap in the 175 motor. Maybe you can find a donor Yamaha frame that would be an easier fit.
Hydraulic Jack
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Not worth the effort if your looking to make a light weight 175 . Fact the 250 frame is only 4lbs lighter than the super combat frame . The hot ticket is to find a 175 frame which has better geometry then the 250 frame. Here is the250 I built using a 175 frame.

Rich
Attachments
100_1656.JPG
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

OOPS ! That last pic was cut off
Attachments
100_1812.JPG
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Nice Rich! That's what I'd call a rip roaring MX weapon. My 175 motor came out of a wrecked bike but its worth looking into regarding frame salvage. I actually have a stuck 250ED motor. Do you know off-hand if the port mapping was the same between the 250SL and ED motors. I'd love to hear a few details on that build, Rich. Its a really beautiful bike!!
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Thanks , As for the cylinders , When I do the porting it don't matter if I start with a SL or Ed cylinder since what I do goes past the stock specs of both. Mine has v force reeds in the billet manifold that I can supply . A 38mm carb with venture dividers and a ufo. Has a Suzuki TM 250 ignition usimf a button rotor instead of the 500lb flywheel. Also using a super combat cdi box ( the stock one advances at high RPM) that's a no no. I have stiffer control shaft springs and a special ball receiver that is like the small bikes not fluted . There has been some controversy about this , But I know for a fact it shi fts better with it,Greg Watkins bought several of them from me since he also knows they work. Swing ark is from a 89 Yamaha YZ 250 and forks from a Honda xL 350. The bike works real good and is very fast.

Rich
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Just excellent work. I am tinkering with the idea of a Dirt Squirt sleeper. When I get the parts together, I'd like to discuss some port work for reed induction conversion. That's a very impressive race bike!
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

sounds good

Rich
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Since you guys are talking about modified 175s and 250s, I thought I'd mention in this context that I'll soon have up for sale a project bike that I'm going to let go. For years, I've held onto a SL175 that is mostly there, along with a SL250 engine that would be an easy rebuild. My intention was to build a "play bike" using Rich's ideas re: suspension and the swing arm. The frame has no title. The bike is currently mocked up with the 250 motor in it and it fits fine with no mods that I remember. PM me if interested. I'm in western Virginia.
Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

"A man must know his limitations."