250ED help and advice

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hosk1956

250ED help and advice

Post by Hosk1956 »

I have just replaced the fork seals on my 250ED, I had done some research on torque settings for the bottom fork leg bolt (the one that screws into the inner leg), 30Nm seems to be a good figure, but I can't stop the inner leg piston from turning around, I have used a ratchet strap to squash the leg down and put pressure on the inner leg piston, but it still spins.
There looks like there would be a special socket hold the inner leg piston while the bolt is done up, is this available or has anyone got any other tips to hold that piston to do the bolt up?

Wayne from Oz.
olddogs

Re: 250ED help and advice

Post by olddogs »

I use an air gun while leaving it compressed. Its quick snap will usually grab it. You can then check your torque setting.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Air gun.or even light electric impact. Bump it til it catches then tighten by hand or torque.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Dale

Post by Dale »

Here is a link to a document that describes in detail the 34mm fork rebuild for the 03 Wombat.
http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/Articles.asp?ID=252#link8
The specific document is labeled "03 Fork Rrenovation & Seal Replacement Procedure"
Dale
gregg_floren

Post by gregg_floren »

Dennis Stubblefield Sales makes a tool to hold the piston.

It works great.

Gregg
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Another Aussie Gregg? couldn't find the tool on that site but he sure has few goodies on there, I wish I knew about that site some months ago, I had to make a special 'pronged tube spanner' for a job on my quad bike, and he has it, oh well.
After rummaging around in the shed last night I found some bits to make my own tool up, so nothing lost.
I seem (and like!) to do a lot of that, just getting back into bikes, and the 250ED in particular and found my tool box with all the 'special' tools I have made up over the years, glad I never thru them out now!

Wayne from Sth Oz.