B+ shock disassemble

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
relic

B+ shock disassemble

Post by relic »

Has anyone taken B+ OEM shocks apart? I see the roll pin on the top eye and I suspect after removing it that the top can be unscrewed from the shaft? I'm wondering if this can be done somehow? The spring would need to be compressed somewhat to access the top of the shaft...doesn't seem like there is much room to do that. But maybe some of you have played with this?
I know I can buy reproductions or Progressives but I'm curious if these originals can be taken apart far enough to remove the springs and straighten the shafts.

thanks,
pic shows the type of shock I'm talking about

Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
dirty_rat

Re: B+ shock disassemble

Post by dirty_rat »

I have taken a pair apart to clean rust, etc. off them. They are not re-buildable (they can not be taken apart any further that taking the springs off, the spring adjuster, the plastic cup under the spring and the top shock mount). If they are bent, yes, you can probably straighten the shafts, but I would not use them for anything more that holding the bike up and looking original after that.

It has been a while, but I did take the roll pin out and I had to compress the spring and reach above it to unscrew a lock nut at the top of the shaft. Then the top mounting eye could be unscrewed and all the parts came apart. Just be very careful with the spring as it can cause injury if not done properly. Like I said, it was a while ago, but that was the process as best as I can remember.
relic

Re: B+ shock disassemble

Post by relic »

Thanks. Its a bit small to fit in my regular spring compressor so I'll use a bearing splitter in the press.
This method has worked for me before but usually the shocks have the split collars up top. So these ones had me wondering.
Ken
I wonder where this goes...?