Road Toad Value

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

Road Toad Value

Post by SuperRat01 »

Hey Guys, I am trying to apply for a lost title for my 1975 Road Toad. The application for a title wants a "good" value for this motorcycle. The Kelly bluebook only shows "excellent" condition value. Does anyone know what a 1975 Road Toad in "good" condition is worth? Thanks, LInc
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Road Toad Value

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

The KBB value for Hodaka is pretty much what one would sell for if all the parts are there and it runs well. Not enough vehicles in type are sold these days to form a usable data base. You have the same problem DMV will have when they try to verify value. At the point of restoring title, it doesn't matter what the value really is, it matters what the state will accept as a reasonable risk if someone tries to recover title to your vehicle. If the book says $2,325, that's a value that at least can be verified through a third party source.

If you were not the last person to hold title ofmrecord, probably you will need to bond the vehicle. The cost of a bond is only a fraction of bonded value and usually has a minimum threshold value. For example, you may not be able to get a bond for less than $3,000 bonded value, in which case, the value of your bike just went to $3,000. Doesn't matter. The cost of the bond will only be perhaps a hundred bucks anyway.

Find out what it takes to get a bond, and go from there. If the minimum bond is under $2,000, I would opt for the next higher value, like $3,000, so that DMV won't have anything to argue over.
Hydraulic Jack
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Thanks for the info Jack, I will check in to that. Linc
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi Linc,

Just for perspective, the process in Iowa is a bit cumbersome yet straightforward. A bonded title here requires a bill of sale, frame number, and four-aspect photo series of the bike. Contact information is desired, but I've received a bonded title without (I bought a frame at a swap meet and had the B.O.S. but no contact information). The cost was around $100 each time.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Well in Montana a good value for a turkey is $27.98. It does not mean $62.30 that a Bank would pay at the county Fair for the grand champion turkey. In Montana we pay tax on the value reported. If they are selling for $800 to $1,200 that is a good value. What did Victor pay for his? If you were thee last person to hold the title in Montana and misplaced it, you simply ask for a duplicate title at a cost of just a few bucks. If the person that sold it to you misplaced the title they can put in for a lost title and then transfer it to you. I will check with a few folks here in MT. -------Clarence ---- Always be friendly at DMV and get the bill of sale.
jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

If you look it up on the nada motorcycle value website, it says it's worth $925 in good shape. Of course there are always other factors involved with actual market value. Vermont uses nada values for registration purposes. I also think it classifies a 1975 toad as an (02) model, I was under the impression that 75 would be a (99) model. Minor details I guess.If you look it up on the nada motorcycle value website, it says it's worth $925 in good shape. Of course there are always other factors involved with actual market value. Vermont uses nada values for registration purposes. I also think it classifies a 1975 toad as an (02) model, I was under the impression that 75 would be a (99) model. Minor details I guess.

See if this link works....
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1975/Hodaka
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

My old Hap Jones blue book shows the 1976 as the (99)-----Clarence
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Linc,

Did you ever have title to this bike, or did you acquire it without a title? You used the phrase "lost title" which suggests you are the titled owner but can't find the document, but if this were the case, the state wouldn't care what the value is, and Clarence would be right. You just ask for a replacement document and pay a nominal fee.

Because you were concerned about value, I assumed you wanted to secure a reconstructed title or whatever phrase Florida uses when you have something you want to title (for the first time in your name) the ownership of which may be in question (from the state's perspective).

Best way to find out your needs is to research the question on the DMV website, and if that doesn't get you a clear answer, call or stop by and ask. What is needed is a matter of regulation but how hard it is to come by a new title can be a matter of which office you visit. Good luck in your effort but remember, it can be done. Just learn all you can about the process first.
Hydraulic Jack
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Jack, I bought this at a motorcycle show a couple of years ago without a title, just a B.O.S. After just driving it on the back roads around the house I have decided to try and get a title to make it all legal. I guess the best way is like you said, go the the DMV and talk to them (however, I don't recall them being to friendly down there). Anyways, I will give it a shot. Thanks, Linc