Harry Taylor Cup video

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Harry Taylor Cup video

Post by Bullfrog »

Here is an "oops" video from the recent Harry Taylor Cup race, I hope you find it to be enjoyable. The Harry Taylor Cup is a new event which was held in conjunction with the "CZ Worlds" at the famous Hangtown MX track a week ago.

At about the 8 minute mark the "oops" happens. Gung ho Hodaka fan Terry Larson was "in my sights" but time was running short - nearing the end of the 3rd lap (out of 5 - no pressure there!) And I Terry knew I was working hard to catch him. Ennnneywayeee, the fates declared that we would both make a mistake at the same time and only a few yards apart. It was sure a kick being there and doing that!

For you truly "go fast" guys who listen to the engine R's, yes, I know I should have kept 'er in third on those uphills . . . but there are at least two reasons I didn't. 1. I'm just not very comfortable with extended pulls at red line, especially when it won't make me any faster in the corners, or downhills or . . . you get the picture. And 2. see #1 - getting to the finish line is my first priority. Ennnneywayeeee - it wuz a HOOT!

https://youtu.be/ncPGAoe9VKk

Ed
PS: Keep the rubber side down! (? Do as I say, not as I do?)
Keep the rubber side down!
relic

Re: Harry Taylor Cup video

Post by relic »

Great video, thanks for sharing. Love the sound. I've never raced so watching this from your perspective is cool. I don't think I could recover from a tumble like that so quickly. Actually, I know I couldn't...
Awesome!

Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Nice Captain. Excellent rally! I couldn't tell if you caught a rut or the rear wheel washed out but you were right back on the pipe seconds later. Great moto!!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Nice video Ed. Looks like you guys had a great time, and the track looked pretty nice too.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Looks like front wheel washed out. Bars turned slightly to the left into the turn instead of keeping straight, shifting weight to the rear wheel and letting it drift out. Probably from sitting down. Happens to me. The turn was also a bit off camber by appearance and perhaps a bit loose on the inside so nothing much to hook up to.
Hydraulic Jack
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Basic error was NOT putting the front tire on "wall" of the "groove" - but leaning like I was on the "wall". I'm not nearly as precise as I need to be in grooves, ruts and berms. So, yup, steered inside on off-camber, washed out the front. It was a pretty nice "roll out and stand" recovery though. :-) It was sort of funny as it worked out, and it was a pretty quick recovery - but it added almost 20% to the lap time! Ouch! :-)
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Basic error was NOT putting the front tire on "wall" of the "groove" - but leaning like I was on the "wall". I'm not nearly as precise as I need to be in grooves, ruts and berms. So, yup, steered inside on off-camber, washed out the front. It was a pretty nice "roll out and stand" recovery though. :-) It was sort of funny as it worked out, and it was a pretty quick recovery - but it added almost 20% to the lap time! Ouch! :-)
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

We all drop our bikes, Captain. Unlike me, at least you do it with style and grace. Jack, I nicely demonstrated the exact mechanism you describe last weekend at a harescrambles. Tight chicane section in deep sand with my line cut off and I couldn't/didn't stay on the gas hard enough to keep the front end light. First the front end washout, and then comes that sinking feeling that you're not getting back into shape and that's that.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I find that as I get older, my brain remembers how to do all that high power curve stuff, but my body no longer executes the commands. I try not to sit down while racing but it doesn't always work out that way if the race lasts more than 15 seconds.
Hydraulic Jack
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'm with you there Jack. Anymore, my legs start to turn to jello about the time I leave the gate until I get about a dozen motos under green in. Off-season training? Nope.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

One of the rules I learned in my time in Athena back in the '70s was: "It is better to have trained on beer than not to have trained at all."
Ed
PS: Of course moderation in most activities is to be commended. ;)
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:-) Hmm...back in the late 70's is when I learned to take my moderation in moderation. That might explain a few things.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Hmmmm, I'll have to ponder that . . . one can over do it on moderation . . . hmmmm
Ed
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I still think Ed is a more aggressive rider, after he crashes. Good Job!-------------Clarence
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I think most of us with a competitive nature go faster after a fall. Which only demonstrates that we weren't going all that fast to begin with. Probably why some guys who are consistently fast are stranger than the rest of us.

I find that I ride much faster if I am directly behind a faster rider. Same when racing cars. Not true when running.
Hydraulic Jack