Fork springs

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bill2001

Fork springs

Post by Bill2001 »

One future round-tuit project on my Wombat 94 is rebuilding the front forks. They are in "decent" shape-- new seals, new dust caps, no stiction or excessive play. But still cruddy fork oil comes out even after the third fork oil change, so I need to check them.

The fork springs are likely the originals. After 45 yrs they are probsbly saggy. Looking at the SH Wbat 94 schematics I didn't see fork springs in the parts list. They may be listed on other areas, or they may be listed as other than a "94-" part.
Suggestions? My preference is for a progressively-wound spring.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Fork springs

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Original, unused springs are likely no longer available, and far as I know, no one makes springs for 40 year old Hodakas. Whether yours are sagged is something that we could probably determine by comparison between other springs here and there. But a properly built spring doesn't sag as much as urban myth would have you believe. Whatever sag they would have would have been introduced very early in life, not through multiple years of use. You would seriously bottom your forks before you could over-compress your springs. I wouldn't worry about it.

Of more concern is the constantly dirty fork oil. If the contamination is metallic, you are wearing out your sliders. Pull them apart and take a peek inside. If you see heavy scoring and vertical scouring, time for a rebuild with new parts. The springs usually don't rub so they usually don't wear. You might also consider adding a dab of Lucas oil treatment to your fork oil. It doesn't take much, but will improve lubricity.
Hydraulic Jack
Bill2001

Re: Fork springs

Post by Bill2001 »

If the springs are NLA and usually not a problem, then I shan't worry. On the Beemer I did replace the springs because they were obscenely high mileage, sagged and curved. As well as needing a higher rate spring because of a full fairing. Even then, I was able to use an aftermarket spring.
So on the Hodie I'll make do with what's available. Replace the wear items and do minor tweaking and alignment. Not expecting miracles from 45 year old forks, but I can optimize what I have and be happy.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill