What tail light? 1965 Ace 90

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
NickNelson

What tail light? 1965 Ace 90

Post by NickNelson »

I am on the hunt for the correct stock tail light (socket, lens, bracket, the whole deal) for my 65 Ace 90 (frame #0575) I am seeing it a few different ways: A socket and lens with a more polygon shape with an angle in the top center, and a symmetrical look This is referred to as the "Early" version. The parts that are for sale below have a more rounded look and the lens has an asymmetrical appearance with a large circular area to one side and a smaller circle off to one side. Which is it for my 65?

I am seeing the socket both ways on an Ebay search I did. I guess it may be a mute point since I am not finding an "early" version lens and also I don't know if the brackets I am finding work with both versions.

I may end up with the round version anyway if that's all I can find, but I was just curious to what this knowledgeable group would say...Thanks
NickNelson

Re: What tail light? 1965 Ace 90

Post by NickNelson »

I think I answered my own question, as this nice '65 for sale has the "Early" version tail light and higher frame number than mine http://automotoclassicsale.com/node/6815

Like I said, if I can't find it, I'll probably get a round one....
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

Should I search Yamaguchi on Ebay? Is it a Yamaguchi part?
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

When restoring these old gems, the correct parts will show up eventually, but be prepared to wait. I've waited up to a year or more for certain Ace 90 or Super Rat parts.

Paul has a lens in his used inventory, and there is a backing plate, sans wiring, on eBay right now. If that doesn't work for you, you could fabricate the bracket and use a contemporary look-alike, (search for Lucas Style taillight).

$0.02

Roger
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

rlkarren wrote:When restoring these old gems, the correct parts will show up eventually, but be prepared to wait. I've waited up to a year or more for certain Ace 90 or Super Rat parts.

Paul has a lens in his used inventory, and there is a backing plate, sans wiring, on eBay right now. If that doesn't work for you, you could fabricate the bracket and use a contemporary look-alike, (search for Lucas Style taillight).

$0.02

Roger
Thanks Roger for the tip on "Lucas style" I am already seeing several that look very similar. At the price I'm seeing I'll probably get one of these reproductions and just keep my eyes open for the real deal (in a more complete form) It beats what's on there now, which I think is a trailer tail/signal light....
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

Ah, shoot. Something occurs to me... I suppose the light has to be 6V? Most of these reproductions I'm seeing are 12V. Will they work?
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Yes, just use an 1154 bulb instead of the 1157. Same bulb, different voltage.
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

rlkarren wrote:Yes, just use an 1154 bulb instead of the 1157. Same bulb, different voltage.
Yes, that makes sense. Thank you sir for the part #!