Ace 90 - Blank Side Covers???

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
NickNelson

Ace 90 - Blank Side Covers???

Post by NickNelson »

I am about to purchase my first Hodaka, a 65 Ace 90. First, kudos to your amazing group and website! All the photos I have seen of Ace 90s, there is a round plate on each side of the engine case, on one side it says Hodaka and on the other side it says Ace 90. Looking at the photos of this bike on Craigslist, these round areas are blank, no words! Are these names something that have fallen off? In the other photos I see they actually appear to be stamped into the engine case so I'm not sure how that's possible? Were there Ace 90s without these words on the side of the engine??? Can I buy them and add them? (I do see the small rectangular Hodaka nameplate near the shifter, so I don't think it is a different brand motor) Thanks for any advice!
Attachments
EngineCase.jpg
Dale

Re: Ace 90 - Blank Side Covers???

Post by Dale »

No. These are legit early side covers. Great find. More to come...
Dale
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

Thanks ddvorak for the reply! I'll be driving up after work to look at it (and probably bring it home!)
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

As Dale said, this is correct for an Early Ace 90. The castings were included later. I would be incredibly tempted if it weren't so far away. ;-) Nice find, probably reasonable price too. The handlebars are not correct, the front fender is modified, not correct air cleaner, but those are easily replaced. If it has the rubber ducktail on the rear fender, that would be very good. Other than that it appears that all the critical parts are present and it is complete.

Roger
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Send more pictures as there are many differences in the early Ace 90 and the parts do fit and interchange. The exception is the really early ones which I call prototypes just me?? When you get it let us know the engine and frame serial numbers. ---------------Clarence
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

Thanks guys for the info. I take it Roger you saw the rest of the pics in the Craigslist ad? Too bad about the wrong handlebars, oh well... What about the front fender is modified? You can sorta see the bracket that holds the rubber deal in the one photo but the rubber appears to be gone.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Roger. I want to know, in all honesty, how you can tell that the handlebars are not correct from the picture he posted? Or did you find the Craig's List posting? ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
dirtsquirt74

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

The early ace 90 had a number of parts that were left over from the Yamagouchi factory. The part that comes to mind is the handlebars. As an educated guess, fifty per cent of my ace 90 came with Yamagouchi parts. Then there is the rear fenders. There were one piece and two piece rear fenders.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I would have to see the Yamagouchi ? Having had them I think they were very different. Hodaka changed the front end but not too much else. I will cover these changes in a new topic coming up.---------------Clarence
dirtsquirt74

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

Clarence

I have showed my ace 90 at Hodaka Days several times. I am sure you have seen it there. It has numerous Yamagouchi parts that I am sure are left overs from the Yamagouchi factory.

Richard
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I saw the same Craig's list ad. Great looking bike for the money. I hope he brought it home. I was trying to say that it is an excellent starting point for a restoration or even a rider, I hope that's the message that came across.

The other photos showed handlebars with the MX crossbar. Ace 90 and early Ace 100's didn't have that crossbar. Also the front fender was modified so that the fender was shortened and the bracket turn up, to look much like the Honda front fender of that era. Two non-critical items for a very early Ace 90 that can easily be replaced if a being correct is the goal.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

You know I really have not seen a 80CC Yamagouchi and have heard that they had a tube frame? I just remember seeing the specs of the Ace 90 and the ad only said its coming. Those early Ace 90's had parts that were never listed in any parts books but I would never have guessed them to have been Yamagouchi although I think the front end was. I would have seen your 90 at Hodaka days and have probably studied it carefully. I do have a 80cc Yamagouchi engine.-------Clarence
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

Happy to say that yes, I brought the bike home. About the serial number, it is A0575. I assume that means the 575th one made? If so is that the 575th in 1965, or since the very beginning of production (in 1964?) Anyway...
Yes, my plan, as with my previous restoration project is to make it as correct as possible. I am not a fan of the handlebars it has and I like the look of the ones I see when I search online: lower profile and no bar across. I will post some photos to show what's there and missing. He gave me the air cleaner case, he didn't use it because he couldn't find the element. I also got a front fender he says is the original. You see it has no chain guard, and I'm sure it is missing other odds and ends. I have yet to go over it with a fine tooth comb . I need to get an accurate diagram/parts list for comparison. For example, there is a little square box/frame holder thingy just behind the air cleaner. What goes there? looks like it would hold a battery, but this is a battery-less system, right?
I appreciate any advice as I prepare for this fun project!
Attachments
20170213_203301.jpg
20170211_160836.jpg
20170211_160807.jpg
20170211_160737.jpg
20170211_160658.jpg
20170211_160552.jpg
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

Is the head on backwards?

Mike Perrett
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Nice catch Mike. I believe it is on backwards. However, I think the location of, and the shape of, the combustion chamber is symmetrical with respect to the cylinder studs -- so there shouldn't be any significant operational issues. Nifty scooter - the 575th one built!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
NickNelson

Ace 90 has no battery - what does it do?

Post by NickNelson »

Hi again. I just bought a 1965 Ace 90 and am going over its issues. Can someone explain to me the purpose of the battery? There is an empty battery holder on this bike (it doesn't have a battery) Yet it runs. I believe the headlight works. Not sure about the taillight, it is not hooked up right now (it's the wrong taillight anyway, I plan to replace) What is the point of the battery if it is only kick start (no electric starter)?
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Clarence
Take a look at my 90 engine when I was rebuilding it alot pointed to Yamagouchi parts. the side covers don't have hodaka on them
look at the head. This is an original bike my fatherinlaw bought new at the dealer in Great falls MT. But all Hodaka parts fit.
MTRob
Attachments
64 Rebuild (1).jpg
64 Rebuild (10).jpg
64 Rebuild (9).jpg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The box is indeed for the battery. There is a charging circuit for the battery included in the magneto that is separate from the ignition circuit. Therefore the bike will run just fine sans battery The battery operates the horn and is available to operate the lights in an emergency situation where the motor is inoperative. Its nice that it is still with the bike. Often the lights, horn, battery box and all associated stuff was stripped off the bike (and lost/tossed - guilty) when these bikes were modded for various competition applications.
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

matt glascock wrote:The box is indeed for the battery. There is a charging circuit for the battery included in the magneto that is separate from the ignition circuit. Therefore the bike will run just fine sans battery The battery operates the horn and is available to operate the lights in an emergency situation where the motor is inoperative. Its nice that it is still with the bike. Often the lights, horn, battery box and all associated stuff was stripped off the bike (and lost/tossed - guilty) when these bikes were modded for various competition applications.
Matt - Thanks for the info! That probably explains why the horn doesn't work. I will get a battery down the road (once I get a few other issues taken care of) I want it to look complete :-)
NickNelson

Post by NickNelson »

MTRob - great job on the restoration! How does one get an engine case looking so clean and polished?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yessiree, that's a beautiful job you are doing there. Can't wait to see the finished scoot!