spoke torque specs

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
mac

spoke torque specs

Post by mac »

Just wondering if anyone knows how tight the ace 100 spokes should be torqued to or does everyone just use the "ting" method?
taber hodaka

Re: spoke torque specs

Post by taber hodaka »

Ting, Tang, tong< < ------------Bless all of you that can do it . I have never tried it starting at ground Zero Afraid ----Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hmm, good question. I'll give it a try. Of course you are trying to make the wheel round and centered. We gain experience in torque and all spokes should feel equally tight on wrench pull. Sound is an indication as is tuning an instrument but not the final say. It's a quick way to find a tight or loose spoke. I still don't think I've answered the question but I made an effort. One thing to remember for me is that all the spokes are supposed to be the same length so the number of threads showing on each spoke is at least a starting point. How's that? :roll:

Max
mac

Post by mac »

Clarence,I would have been much more afraid if I did not have the you tube videos to help show me the way.

Max,you are correct as the videos do have you run the spoke nipples up so the same amount of thread is showing.I ran them up to three threads showing and then snugged up/seated any that were still loose.I now have them pretty tight and with a little adjusting here and there it is pretty true,but the sprocket side spokes seem to be a tad tighter than the brake side.We will see after more work tomorrow how true it runs.

Thanks for the replies
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I would retrue a wheel but not from scratch. I have seen professional spoke'rs and they were fast. My hat is still off to all of you that can do it. ----- ----Clarence
Tom S.

Post by Tom S. »

Lacing wheels is easier than you might think. Just take your time and be patient and put the beer away until you're done. Last winter I rebuilt the wheels on an old Yamaha that I was preparing to show. It was the first time that I've ever built wheels. The hubs and rims were in great shape, but needed to be polished. The spokes and nipples were badly tarnished. I bought NOS spoke sets on ebay, and a wheel stand and spoke wrench and dial indicator on Amazon. I also downloaded a couple of good tutorials from You Tube (did you know you can do that?) to sort of play on endless loop offline while I worked. Armed with all of that, I dove in. It all went quite smoothly and I was really pleased w/the outcome. I showed the bike at the Quail Motorcycle Gathering in California last May. No trophy for me, but the show was fun and the group ride the day prior included a half dozen fast-as-you-dare laps around Laguna Seca Raceway.

I also bought a spoke torque wrench on Amazon, but it turned out to be overkill and I sent it back.

Last edited by Tom S. on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Nice RD! Another one of my weaknesses in the past along with RZs.

Good report on wheel lacing also! :)

Max
Tom S.

Post by Tom S. »

Here is the first of two vids that I found most helpful. Good info here. Board will not allow me to post multiple links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBEXq2dGnU
Tom S.

Post by Tom S. »