Ace 100 (92) rear shocks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
baglock1

Ace 100 (92) rear shocks

Post by baglock1 »

Sheesh! I go away for a few months to take care of some business and you guys have completely churched up the place... to include deleting my old user account! Anyways, the new forum and site look great. My kudos to all involved.

I did a frame-up on my '68 Ace 100 (92) a while ago and one of the (many) things I wasn't able to source was a set of new rear shocks. I used a wire brush to scrape most of the surface rust off of them, but they are obviously shot (no dampening whatsoever) and I'd like to replace them.

If I had my druthers, I'd get some stock replacements but that seems to be a fool's errand since OEM replacements don't seem to exist. Currently, one of Paul's competitor's (I can't remember if it was kosher to mention another site in this forum) has regular and progressive rear shocks on sale but neither are for the 92. The "regular" shocks are available for the 92B and the progressives are listed in a overall length that appears similar to the OEM ones on my 92. I don't think I really need progressives on this since I put "maybe" 200 miles on this bike a year and less than 20 of those are in the rough. If the progressives are really beneficial in the rough and the street, I'll do it, but I'd rather spend ~$100 then ~$300.

My question has to do with whether I can use either of these options on my bike. I don't have any problems machining some adapters but I really don't want to have to cut the frame on this one.

Insight, advice, commentary?
Dale

Re: Ace 100 (92) rear shocks

Post by Dale »

Try contacting Bruce Young at http://www.hodakaparts.com Either call or send an email. Bruce has used Ace 90 and Ace 100 parts. He might have some good replacement shocks that would fit your need.
Dale
Dale
Pep

Post by Pep »

If you're looking for good performers and don't want to break the bank, check out NJB's. I'm using two sets - they are available in lengths (and widths) to suit the Ace 90 and all early Hodakas.
I use the MX version, I think around $225? They also have road and trial models that are even more affordable.
They mount up easy, using stock mount bolts, no need for making bushings, and have been a nice alternative.
You can probably find them in different places, but I've used Matt at Speed and Sport in CA - he's very nice and knowledgable and always happy to help rehab a Hodaka.
Here's a photo of them on an Ace 90 - mounted upside down, which is ok (and was necessary to get clearance around the 90 fender stay).
Like I said, good performers at a good price.
Hope this helps,
Laurie
Attachments
image.jpg
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Laurie, what brand pipe is that?? Very cool.
Pep

Post by Pep »

Circle F. I have a few of them, I cannot brag on them enough - really great pipes, and Kevin is so cool to deal with.
He also makes a Hodaka down pipe, I might end up putting this pipe on another bike and swapping to a down pipe
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Hodaka-parts.com is having a coupon sale on rear shocks. Check it out.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, This is Bruce of Hodakaparts.com Idaho, we would suggest that the company and set that Laura in Texas is using seems is the best out there as a very good replacement for orginal looking shocks, they seem to work well and reasonable priced. We here did a lot of research on trying to find direct replacements and these are the best. Give them a call very informative company. All other brands out there take a little work to fit them, size is the issue, they just don,t bolt up. Rub on to many things in use. Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Pep

Post by Pep »

That's true - Bill Cook is having a sale - I don't know much about the shocks - someone on here probably does
All chrome, at 50% off, that's $95! And they look more original.
Listed as fitting the 92B+, among others
http://hodaka-parts.com/item.asp?PID=2864
Coupon code is HP362035
-Laurie