100B+ make it quieter?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
ammodave

100B+ make it quieter?

Post by ammodave »

I'm in the process of buying a rebuilt 100B+ after being out of the Hodaka world for some time. The bike seems louder than I remember. It has a stock pipe with spark arrestor. Is there anything extra I can do to quiet the exhaust down a little so I don't upset my neighbors? Remove the arrestor and insert some type of aftermarket baffle? I don't mind some loss in performance if that's what it takes.
RichardMott

Re: 100B+ make it quieter?

Post by RichardMott »

Are you sure your pipe is complete? Here the the link the the complete exhaust system for an Ace 100B+

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/SearchRes ... p?Cat=2058

Rick
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Is it possible you might be able to send in a picture of this pipe you have, also would like to know what size the end of the : PIPE : is, If you don,t run or ride in the
National parks or forest, you could remove the spark arristor,and then find an after market silencer, like an FMF that would fit on that pipe and then things would quiet down a little. Picture would be very helpful to give you a definitive answer. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com Idaho
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
ammodave

Post by ammodave »

I don't have the bike in my possession yet--waiting for a little warmer weather to take possession. It looks like a stock 100B+ with the oem spark arrestor from an outside visual inspection. Can these mufflers be repacked? With what?
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello again, yes it can be pulled, and replaced with an aftermarkete silencer, but
need to find inside size of the tail pipe, That way you could find an silencer that would fit into the pipe end, with clamp or bolt on, If you go that way try and find what was call a shorty silencer.
It would not be too long for the bike and stick out too far behind the pipe.
They made shorty styles, and probably have to get one designed for use on a 125cc machine,
because again the smaller pipe size at the end. You might have to do a little special work to mount and then make sure the main body of the silencer is secured well to the machine also.

It can be done. But the spark arrester would have to be removed. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com Idaho
ammodave

Post by ammodave »

I'm not sure I know what a shorty silencer is. Are we talking about one of those shorty baffles that actually fit inside the original muffler?
Dale

Post by Dale »

Like Rick said, you need to verify that all of the components of the original pipe are there. If they are not, then you can try to find replacement pieces and/or add a silencer to your pipe. If you find that everything is indeed there, then you should find that the inner spark arrester pipe has some glass packing around it and tied on with safety wire. Is so, then you will probably also find that the packing is in ugly shape and saturated with oil. You can remove it and replace with clean packing. Muffler packing can be found at any motorcycle shop or online. This re-pack will take a very very small amount of packing and it will quiet things down.
Dale
Dale
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Good call Dale, if ammoDave does go with the shorty silencer, a short version that was special built for smaller machines, to keep the silencer from sticking out to far behind the bike. Remember that the repack program has to be done every few months to keep it
in good shape and working properly. But it is one way of make less noise and retain
the forestery approved silencer. There never was a forestery approved shorty silencer
made, it was only developed for close course use, not National parks or forest use.
Bruce
ammodave

Post by ammodave »

Thanks for all the help. I'll start with a repack and go from there.
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

I have a 100B+. It is very quiet. Check to see if the inner baffle, part 64 in the Strictly Hodaka exploded parts diagram, is in place. Back in the day, alot of kids would remove that baffle to make it louder. One can use regular fiberglass insulation to repack the main silencer.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello again; Please, for the best results in repacking a exh. use only the products purchased at a motorcycle shop, FMF is one supplier but there are others. It is designed to be used in the exh. envoment. Household insulation will not last as long, and will not hold up a needed, they will work but short term. Bruce Hodakaparts.com Idaho :D
michael_perrett

My "short term" has been 10 years now and still working.
Mike Perrett
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Mike,

I sent the link to the exhaust diagram 11 post ago! :mrgreen: Ha! Mine was quite with the original pipe as well. Even with the Fantic Spanish trials pipe on there now it is fairly quiet. I would bet dollars to doughnuts the baffle is not fully intact as has been suggested.

Rick
Last edited by RichardMott on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Mott

BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I'm a little confused. Did the original 100B+ exhaust have fiberglass packing? I've taken the baffles out of several stock pipes and I have never seen evidence of fiberglass packing. I'm not saying it was never there, and it is very likely that it would have been removed over the years, but I have never even seen evidence of it. In addition, it does not appear on the parts lists. Just looking for clarification.

Brian
Dale

Post by Dale »

My 100 B+ that I bought new back in the day did have a very small amount of packing. It was one of the first things that I removed...
Also, my 94 Wombats have remnants of glass packing. I have been of the opinion that all of the flame thrower exhaust pipes had packing, but that could certainly be wrong.
Dale
Dale
michael_perrett

My response about fiberglass packing was due to the fact that there was discussion about aftermarket silencers. The FMF silencer on my 175 SL is packed with ordinary insulation. No need to use expensive insulation, 'cause it is going to get covered with carbon and oil. As for my 100B+, it never had insulation in it. I know they are loud with the smaller baffle removed.
Mike
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

If there is packing, I would think it would be in this part;

63-Item# /Fig.R2 -Hodaka Part#_929190 - Spark arrestor

Does anyone know for sure? I have never had mine out.

Rick
Rick Mott