Shifting issues? Road Toad

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Neptune

Shifting issues? Road Toad

Post by Neptune »

Big thanks to everyone with the non-running issues I've had. Runs and idles great now. I'm having issues with the clutch now. This is obviously a wet clutch but I don't know how it's supposed to work. This bike had been running when parked; when I opened the clutch cover the oil was basically a milky emulsion of oil and water. Drained it all out, refilled w/ 30 ND, and the clutch operation is no different. Doesn't engage. Should I crank the cable to its furthest adjustment and keep trying or what?
Also read somewhere that these gearboxes are 1 up and 4 down. Which would make sense in England but...?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Shifting issues? Road Toad

Post by Bullfrog »

Road Toads are 1 down and 4 up - '60's era Hodies had the up for 1st pattern shift pattern, but that started to change in 1971.

The clutch components have "married" together after decades of being held together with clutch spring pressure, usually the combination of new oil, the heat of operation and continued attempts to operate the clutch will result in the components separating/releasing. Just gently ride around working the clutch and it should "break loose" after a while.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

By "doesn't engage" do you mean it does not release when you pull the lever in or do you mean that the clutch slips? Water+oil is never good.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Rode it around a bunch yesterday and still no clutch. Thinking I should go in there and separate the plates, clean 'em up.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Separate & clean the clutch plates. That's a good idea. Kerosene is good for cleaning them & then soak them in some of the same gear oil you're putting in the tranny and let them sit over night before re-assembly. Don't use anything abrasive on them to clean them. No wire brushes or sand paper. Use something like a soft plastic scrub brush if it's needed. Check how many spacers (shims) you have too. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90