Shocking Ignition Question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
jakecb420

Shocking Ignition Question

Post by jakecb420 »

Hi all, so I took my ace 90 for a chilly ride to my neighbors the other night and when I went to shut it off via the key in the ignition switch, it gave me a pretty good jolt!!! This is the first time this has happened. I don't have a kill switch wired in yet, as I am still working some bugs out from my engine rebuild, not that I have had time to really dedicate to ace to do anything with it! what might cause an ignition switch to shock one? I would guess volts leaking back through it somehow...but how/why?
rlkarren

Re: Shocking Ignition Question

Post by rlkarren »

With a jolt that big it has to be originating from the ignition coil as the light coils don't put out enough amperage to hit you like that.

If I remember right you have an Ace 100 Ignition in your Ace 90. Somehow, the ignition coil is sending high voltage back down to the key switch. And as soon as you touched it, it grounded, giving you quite a jolt. My guess is that the Blue wire from the Ignition coil is improperly grounded. Electricity will travel the path of least resistance so it could be a bad solder joint at the coil, a short in the key switch or even the coil itself. It sounds like a continuity test on the coil is in order.

If you end up replacing your IGN Coil, you might contact Bruce Young at hodakaparts.com. He could probably set you up with a genuine Ace 90 ignition. They are very hard to find, but he might have one if you wanted to go "original". (Bruce, I remembered this time!) ;-)

Roger

PS Did you get that clutch cover I sent you?
Dale

Post by Dale »

Something else to check... Take a resistance measurement from the key switch outside cover to the frame and also to the motor (unpainted surfaces). If you don't have continuity then your key switch is not grounded to the frame via the two mounting bolts. And, if that is the situation, then when you turn off the key you become the ground by which the ignition (IG wire) is grounded to.
Dale
Dale
jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

good info fellas! thanks. yep, sounds like another job for the multimeter. definitely felt like a coil kinda jolt!! when I get some time to take a look, i'll report back my findings.

Roger, I am so sorry I haven't gotten back to you to thank you. Thank you so much. One more piece of the puzzle! If you ever need any random Honda sohc 750 parts, let me know.