Combat Wombat carb

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
randyatlanta

Combat Wombat carb

Post by randyatlanta »

I am putting together a wombat with a combat engine. This thing was pieced together and is an assemblage of mis matched parts. I can't get it to carburet smoothly. I don't have a good manual for the combat carb. I would assume it is different from the standard wombat carb.
I am shopping for another carb. Anyone out there that could enlighten me about he differences and whst I need to look for in another carb.
thanks
Randy
frustrated and befuddled!
racerclam

Re: Combat Wombat carb

Post by racerclam »

the combat carb is a flange mounted 28 mm the wombat is a 24mm. No mistery with it . Tunes like all the others ,,whats the symptom

Rich
randyatlanta

Post by randyatlanta »

I've taken the carb off, soaked it, blew it out 3 times.
The bike will crank and idles OK. It does not respond to adjustments on the mixture screws and will not accelerate.
I've just bought the bike and up until now, I've assumed it was the correct carburetor. I'm going take it off and check venturi size and jet size. I think it may be a collection of mismatched parts screwed into a carb body.
There are some 24 mm wombat carbs on E-bay, but apparently I need 28mm carbs. I'd like to find one off a combat so that hopefully all the jetting would be pretty close.
Unfortunately, I can't afford a new carb right now. I just spent all my money on a divorce!
randyatlanta

Post by randyatlanta »

You know why divorces are so expensive?
THEY'RE WORTH IT!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Randy:
You've just identified a prime symptom of a plug/partial plug in the pilot circuit. If adjusting the pilot air screw doesn't cause changes . . . then the pilot air passage isn't passing air. (you can't "meter" air flowing through a passage if there is no air flow through the passage)

If you squirt carb cleaner into the pilot air opening, some cleaner must come out elsewhere -- just doing an air blow out of the carb doesn't assure that the very small pilot air and pilot fuel passages are actually clean.

Photos of things might help us help you.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Randy, look at the Combat Wombat schematic of the carb and be sure have the right carb. Notice the main jet enters from the side and all other Hodaka carbs enter from the bottom. You can make them work but the Combat Wombat 28 mm is different.
Bullfrog (Ed) probably has identified your problem no matter what carb you have.

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/95-125cc- ... s/1851.htm
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.