Help with repacking wheel bearings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
spudman

Help with repacking wheel bearings

Post by spudman »

I'm looking to repack the wheel bearings on my '75 model 99 Road Toad and was wondering if all I need to do to get to the bearings is remove the part that is described in the parts list as the "oil seal" to access the bearings themselves. If so, is there a preferred way to do this so as not to damage this seal? I was thinking that maybe one of those tiny jeweler screwdrivers might slide in alongside the seal in order to lift it out. Looks like the rear wheel also has a snap ring on the sprocket side as well. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
thrownchain

Re: Help with repacking wheel bearings

Post by thrownchain »

Preferred way is to replace the bearings. To repack you need to get the old grease out and replace with new. Can't be done in the hub as far as I know. You can pry the rubber seal out and pack in new grease, but I just wouldn't.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Bearings are low cost items. I'd change them and clean the hub and repack the new ones. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and there is an article in the "Resonator Revisited" telling how to remove wheel bearings. (the Hodaka Club newsletter)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
spudman

Post by spudman »

Thanks guys!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

+1. With the age of the bearings and the pocket-change cost of the bearings it' easier to replace 'em. Remember to heat the hub spit-sizzle hot.

On my initial go-through, I replaced the seals, inspected the bearings, found them "OK" and plan replacement in Winter. The cush-hub bearing was rough so I replaced it.

A company named Cycle Works makes a slick tool to grease the assembled bearing stack with the wheel off. Made for a 17mm axle/bearing ID. I might see about making one for my Hodie, IMO, it's a good idea to give the wheel bearings a shot of grease at tire change time.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
spudman

Post by spudman »

I guess I should probably clarify; the cost of replacing the bearings isn't an issue. If it were, I probably wouldn't own motorcycles at all.
:)
That said...the bike only has a little over 1000 original miles on it and by all indications so far (checking free play, etc.), the bearings are fine. The thing is, I have the wheels off (new tires) so I thought I'd repack the bearings with a good high quality waterproof grease before I remounted the wheels. It also looks (based on several videos I've now found online) a bit easier than replacing the entire bearing assembly, and I don't have a tool necessary for doing that either. I guess if I felt the bearings were bad, I'd replace them in a heartbeat (well...a heartbeat plus the week it would take them to get here!), but knowing they're likely fine, I was just looking toward repacking them and getting the Toad back together and running again sooner rather than later. Thanks for all the input though...I appreciate it!