With no welder, what would you do?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
RichardMott

With no welder, what would you do?

Post by RichardMott »

Works for me. Has anyone else had this problem? The original bracket seems to be rather weak and thin.
The new one is 3/4" X 3/16" aluminum. (UK spelling) :lol:

Rick Mott
Attachments
Its fixed
Its fixed
It broke
It broke
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: With no welder, what would you do?

Post by Bullfrog »

I would have used hose clamps . . . then there would be no need for drilling.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

When I bought my Combat Wombat the coil mounting bracket was broken, so I guess the bracket is a little bit weak. I have a scrap Ace frame so I ground the welds off the Ace coil mounting bracket, removed it from the frame, and had it welded to my CW frame.

Brian
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Hose clamps????! Ed, I had more faith in your craftmanship than that. That sounds more like a shoemakers approtch. :-)

RAM
Rick Mott

Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Whaaaaaat? A buck, 29 - no drilling of structural frame components, no welding. End result is solid as a rock . . . and it worked fine for me in the mid-70's -- why not now??

Craftsmanship is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Ed
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

I noticed over the years that tests have shown the broken coil brackets are a direct result of uncontrolled uphill wheelies done at the end of trial sections. A East Coast Hodaka Junk Yard Association test pilot has graciously proved this repeatedly.
Mike Perrett
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Just remembering what you said about my rear brake modification I did a few years ago to improve my foot location. No welder used there either. Remember your comment? It was far from complementry. Utilitarian is what you called it. :oops:

Rick
Rick Mott

Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

I had no problem at all with the craftsmanship of your rear brake lever . . . but I certainly didn't describe it as "utilitarian" . . . since it was decidedly NOT utilitarian. I believe I described it as "un-safe". It required the rider to take his foot off the foot peg and move his foot forward to place the toe of the boot on the brake lever AND required the rider to modulate the brake through "whole leg" movements . . . while balancing on the other leg and foot peg. It was not utilitarian . . . it was unsafe. Craftsmanship was most likely fine . . . but it was still unsafe.

A Tiffany lamp exhibits world class craftsmanship . . . but it sucks as a motorcycle headlight. The point being - craftsmanship alone is not enough - design for the intended purpose is also important.

Ed
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rick/Ed thank you for the laughs this morning. I just cannot say what I think right now as I am laughing to hard.
Have a nice Day !
Paul
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

Rick, you should have told me that the bracket broke. I have at least one unused Hodaka clamp on coil bracket I could have sent you. As you may recall, we do have a sophisticated junk yard.
ECHJYA pension fund manager
Mike Perrett
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Ed,

I think you misunderstood my response. :ugeek: Yes you sent me a very interesting Powerpoint about my "original" brake lever, which indeed was not safe. :? When I replaced it with a bolted together foot lever, because I lacked the access to a welder, that device was the one that prompted your "utilatarian" comment. :shock: Too bad we can not go back to the old forum postings to see the thread. ;)

Rick :ugeek:
Rick Mott

Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Ah-Ha! I wondered why you would bring up the "original" brake lever.

As for the re-worked brake lever, me-thinks you might place a different value on the term "utilitarian" than I do. I have to admit that I don't even remember what the re-worked brake lever looked like . . . which is a good thing. Let me explain.

Let's start with the question of, "Have you seen my enduro/MX bike?" I INTEND for it to be a "sleeper". It LOOKS like it was just rolled out from behind the barn - but it will most certainly do the job it was intended to do. Rattle can frame paint, last touched up in 2009. Worn off air cleaner decal. Lightly rusted expansion chamber - etc. It isn't pretty . . . it is utilitarian. It does the job intended very well, thank you very much.

Therefore, describing your re-worked brake lever as "utilitarian" is not a subtle slam. It is another way of saying, "Well, that will do the job it is supposed to do quite well, thank you very much."

Ed
PS: Going back to your original post. I just checked my scooters in the garage. The enduro/MX bike AND the Bullfrog both have hose clamps holding the high tension coil to the frame . . . um, so that is indeed how I would do it. :D
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

I can't believe you don't know someone with a welder!!! I will do the welding for you at no cost, I just like to see the job done right.
Jack K
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Hi Jack,

Hey I do get things welded. Just easier to bolt things together to save the time of getting the parts to the welder, explain what I want, then pick up the parts after my next overseas trip to who-knows-where.
My exhaust system is welded. I had my seat pan welded where it was cracked. Even some of my rear brake mechinizum is welded (aluminum).
If you have seen my trials bike foot pegs, you will notice, not welded. Bolt on. Never know when someone might want to turn my titiled Ace back into a street bike.

If I had a welder of my own, I would do more welding. I have been welding since high school. I have had my eye on a welder at Harbour Frieght fo some time now. Just need to get a 220 volt service line in the garage.

Rick

Coming live to you from Mexico City
Rick Mott

RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Here is a photo of the formentioned apparatis.....!
Attachments
Some weld, some nut & bolt
Some weld, some nut & bolt
Rick Mott

rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Coil mounting bracket
Coil mounting bracket
Here is a photo of the aluminum bracket that I make for coil mounting when those original brackets are missing. I buy the U shaped plastic coated clamps at Ace hardware. Once tightened they will not slip. I also hook an extra ground wire from the frame to one of the mounting holes. Richard