Need help with tires

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Roddy boy

Need help with tires

Post by Roddy boy »

I am rebirthing a 73 Wombat 94, and have appreciated all the advice from this site. Here in Canada we don't have the same access to all the tire brands that members in the lower 48 have, and I have been frustrated trying to find a pair of off road tires that match. The problem is the rear 3.00 by 18, which converts I believe to a 90/90-18. So far no luck in sourcing this size. No problem finding a 80/100-21 for the front. So, do I go with a different size for the rear? Do I go with different brand tires front and rear? The bike will never be plated for the street, so no need to get dual sport, but could go that way if the tires were aggressive enough for the single track trails that I enjoy. So, open to all advice as to sizing front and back, brand names, mixed up combinations that work well, whatever! Don't care about life expectancy, as I doubt this bike will see two tanks a year. Hope all had a great time at Hodaka Days, and will endeavour to attend next year. Rod in Calgary, Canada
Calgary, Canada
spudman

Re: Need help with tires

Post by spudman »

I just experienced the same problem with tires for my Road Toad. Everybody made a 2.75-19 for the front, but never a matching 3.50-17 for the rear. I'm guessing it's not a popular size any more. In any case...I finally found a solution with IRC. That particular brand made a tire (the GP1) that came in both sizes. Give that brand a look...perhaps they make what you're looking for.
Roddy boy

Post by Roddy boy »

Yes, they do. The G P -1 is available in all the old sizes, and I can probably get it here. That brand is usually inexpensive, only problem is that it is not much of an off road tire, so will continue to search for something more aggressive. Thanks for your tip.
Calgary, Canada
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The PO of my Wombat 94 put on oversize 3.25x21 and 4.00x18 Kenda knobbies on my bike. They seem to be working out OK. The rear tire rubbed on the chainguard, so a washer was used to shim the tire on the axle.

--Bill
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

you can get a 3.5 x 18 Kenda here in Australia which works well as a rear knobby on my Wombat. I reckon they should be available anywhere you can buy Kendas
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

image.jpeg
I run the dual sport tires on my 03 Wombat and they do very well.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Again, nice Wombat Kelly! Love it.

Max
Dale

Post by Dale »

If you need a more aggressive tire than the IRC or Kenda or Cheng Shin dual sport tire, don't expect much from a DOT approved knobby. I have used about every brand out there and NONE of them are good off road. Some are better than others but overall they fall short. The less aggressive dual sport tires previously mentioned actually perform better in my opinion.
Dale