Covert Captain

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

Covert Captain

Post by matt glascock »

Mirror, mirror on the ride - on what page does The Captain hide? I will donate $50 to the Hodaka Club in the name of the first person to give me the page number of the Wombat manual that answers this riddle. After all, don't we all need a chilled out Wombat thread?
Jack Elliott

Re: Covert Captain

Post by Jack Elliott »

is that him fiddling with the control shaft on page 58?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Tee hee, I hope you get this right Matt. While I can make good solid educated guesses on the answer to the riddle . . . there is only one place which is absolutely, unequivocably, without any doubt what-so-ever, my hiding place. (oops, hope that isn't too much of a hint :-) )
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

If you're talkin' the orange Wombat owners hand book (949510), it seems page 13 has the only human parts shown.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Gentlemen, I'm referring to the official Hodaka Wombat Workshop Manual which covers Models 94, 94a, and 95 - the Wombat bible. Sorry for any confusion. Game on.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Dale, that was not necessarily the image I was seeking. Having said that, if we get confirmation from The Captain that those are indeed his hands, I'll pony up the $50. I'm a man of my word, and really, I didn't specify which feature of The Captain is prominent in the image. Captain? In the meantime, continue flipping through the Wombat Workshop Manual and "reflect". Who knows. You may find this exercise somewhat illuminating.
Last edited by matt glascock on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I think the hair says Captain...
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Indeed! I will add that hair, legendary specialty hair, figures prominently in the mysterious Captain sighting as well.
Last edited by matt glascock on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Good one!
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!! Dale, you've correctly located the Covert Captain hiding on that headlight bezel on page 76 of the Wombat Workshop Manual. Congratulations!! I just completed a $50 donation to the Hodaka Club in the name of Dale Dvorak. Excellent!!

Best,

Matt
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

ERROR ALERT! See correction below:

Tee hee, I hope you get this right Matt. While I can make good solid educated guesses on the answer to the riddle . . . there is only one - MAKE THAT TWO - place(S) which is(ARE) absolutely, unequivocably, without any doubt what-so-ever, my hiding place(S). (oops, hope that isn't too much of a hint :-) )

Dale's guess on page 58 falls into the only 98% sure category. The hands which are in the 100% sure category are on page 51 - that is clearly my watch band. But I didn't catch the reflection in the headlight ring on page 76 till I read Dale's second guess. Yup that are me - you wouldn't be able to see my hair in that photo now - white on chrome just doesn't show up well :-)

So it sounds like we have a new $50.00 donation to the Hodaka Club?

On behalf of the club, we thank you!
Ed
PS: Since I had a hand (hair?) in garnering that donation, dontchathink I should be able to divert those funds to the purchase of raffle tickets (in my name of course) for the 125cc engine George Cone refurbed for the club? Seems appropriate to me. :-)
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Captain - er - President Captain, I should think that, as our new president, you could legitimately direct that donation as you see fit in the form of an "Executive Order". However, as not only the subject of this exercise, but a successful participant through identification of the ONLY other irrefutably confirmed image of The Captain in the Wombat Manual as well - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER part two. A similar donation has been made in the name of Ed Chesnut. Actually, I really like to do what I can to support the Hodaka Club. As the owner of 12 of the little buggers myself I really enjoy supporting the viability of the marque and really appreciate all those who help us keep them on and not under the dirt.

Best,

Matt

PS - regarding my pate, what ain't turning white is turning loose. Would a melon like mine which effectively reflects light itself create a reflection in a reflective reflector?
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Woo woo! The club thanks you doubly!

Captain Eddie
PS: I'll have to reflect on that.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:D
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thank you Matt. Jeez, looking back I see that I missed that Jack had also suggested page 58. I will blame that on my cell phone access during this very busy (Hodaka Days) week.
Dale
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Right you are Dale. I bet you all are busier than a bunch of long-tailed cats in a room full of rocking chairs with Hodaka Days just around the corner. Actually, since The Captain gave that image a 98% likelihood of being The Captain and since Jack was the first to submit that answer, I better stick to my word and pony up. Enjoy Hodaka Days. I sure hope to make it to the event some day.

Best,

Matt
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

$50 donation to the Hodaka Club in the name of Jack Elliott has been made. That was fun, fellas! Enjoy Hodaka Days!!

Best,

Matt
Jack Elliott

Post by Jack Elliott »

Thats great Matt
Thanks for the fun and making the donation. I was never much good at those "Wheres Wally " type games !
Jack
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

You are welcome, Jack. Always cool to support a great cause AND have a little fun along the way.

Best,

Matt
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I just may have confirmed another Captain sighting on page 76 of the Wombat Workshop Manual. This one appears inverted and crazily distorted. A sort of Fu Manchu in profile vibe. Is it merely the effect of the concavity of the turn signal reflector...OR...is there something else going on here???
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Remember the era... and the fact that the Captain was not so long before (released? ejected? rescued?) from that cesspool of radical 60's behavior, Oregon State University (U.C. Davis Norte'). Oh, and the classic "family transporter" he hauled his bride and infant heir about during that time...
Bob
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Geez, I won't be able to peek at page 76 for a couple more days.

Um, Oregon State University "that cesspool of radical 60's behavior"? Whaaaaaat?

Oh, you must be thinking of the time someone dumped fluorescent yellow-green dye in the fountain at the student union building. Yup, us "cow college" types were unbelievably radical.

Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Outlandish. Was it, perchance, flurosene dye in the fountain? I tried that in an apartment building pool in around 1982. Effective. I can't stop laughing!!! Good stuff!! Question...is the "family Transporter" by any chance a "Captain America" van lined with gear oil, hot grease, dirt, and the unmistakable bouquet of pre-mix? Love it!!
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

How would I know what the dye was? I wasn't so "radical" as to dump dye in the university fountain - gasp, NO!

Yup, my boy rode in a car seat strapped (sort of) to the engine house between the seats when he wuz little. More than a few customized renditions of Old McDonald's Farm were belted out in the Captain America van!

Ed