Stainless Steel Fender Repair

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
DesertRat54

Stainless Steel Fender Repair

Post by DesertRat54 »

Does anyone do, or have a reference to someone who does stainless steel fender repair? I can straighten and remove dimples, but beyond that, my abilities in this regard run aground pretty quickly. I'm in need of someone who can repair small cracks and some rather deep scratches for my Combat Wombat garage queen; the work has to be show quality.
Thanks,
Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

"A man must know his limitations."
socalhodaka

Re: Stainless Steel Fender Repair

Post by socalhodaka »

Any photos of the fender? I know someone I could show it to and have done fenders before.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

California Hodaka, Greg Watson 1--626--324--0303, is your man if you want someone to make them look like new, he does a great job. Or if you want to try, keep on the forum and someone will have about a 100 suggestions as to what to do. It can be done and its not hard, but just keep reading, might also suggest go on the forum past posts area and put fender repair and see what happens. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Yes Gregs my guy
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Thanks, gentlemen; I'll give Greg a call. I feel better already.

Haven't heard a peep from you in awhile, Bruce. I hope all is well and that you're staying appropriately busy.

Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Yes, Bill I'm still , out there, just trying to stand on the side lines and learn from the more knowledgeable and experts and so called experts out there in the Hodaka World. I also have been honored to be able to sell and inventory the new Preston Petty line of products in the Northwest. I sold these products over 35 years ago and have know Preston Personally all those years, then I retired from the industry and guess what, here I am again right back in it and enjoying it more than ever, you in the Vintage motorcycle world and especially the Hodaka Group are the best ever. Its all Paul's fault and I thank him for everything he has done. Great man. Bruce
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

So life's gone full circle, eh? I had no idea you were a Buddhist. Yes, Paul get's the credit (blame?) for all of this--just don't try to get him to admit it. Since you mentioned Preston Petty, I'll ask you the same question I asked Paul: What are my chances of finding a pair of first generation, white Preston Petty fenders? You know the ones: 5 5/8" wide for an 18" rear wheel, and 4" wide for a 21" wheel. Anything I find either has holes all through it, or is green or blue.
Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

I would have to give you the same answer that probably Paul the " Guru " told you. Production issues, time and money. First things first, these fenders from concept to final product just don't pop out of the mold. Even we in the field, don't understand," but many do", the time and money its takes to make just a single fender. To try and keep the retail at a point, we in the field won't have to break the bank to buy, first when we in the Industry make an order, first we must find someone in the world to make the product to our specs. then how many each per run, and finally how long.
To get one fender done to sell to you its takes over one year. " Start to finished product" minimum. And thousands of dollars to get there as well. These Manf. around the world demand mold prices, Production size and such. It costs a lot! of time and money to get our fenders. Now back to your original question; first things, first, there are still the original set of fenders and headlights, from the first order that still are over 3 to 6 months to the final stock being on the self, that has to be done, and then we in the Industry can start thinking of other items, from hundreds of suggestions to make next, give it time. be patient. Paul has started a list of future Preston Petty products, colors, styles, items he has to work thru, priorities first, and then get started. I am not lecturing you Bill, but trying to answer hundreds of questions I hear, and talk about at the race track, and display booth from the Vintage motorcycle world, inc., the Hodaka World. Thanks for listening, Bruce Young sales rep. Preston Petty Northwest.
---

Post by --- »

Bill,

Are you asking about a current product, or one made back in the 70's?
GMc
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Current products, Yes; Now it must be understood, on the the list of things to do, are the acknowledgement that PP needs to look into developing products for machine specific use. Year and Model, but for now the items are all Universal type. Its just way it all had to start. In the long site future, depending on request and etc., I am sure other items will be considered, like to era still fenders you where talking about, but again to keep the prices within reason, to the customer and its bad enough now, because of the production costs and etc., that the amount of demand for a particular product will be almost the first consideration. A Big thanks for understanding. Bruce Young
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi guys,
Just spoke with Bruce on the phone and he mentioned this post.Anything is possible with time and money. Bill I do not have anymore of the earlier style fenders that you are looking for. There was no name on them like "Baja", "Muder" etc.. they only had the Preston Petty logo.
I did have some a few months back after I had purchased a left over inventory but these have all sold now sorry. I do not know of any other "good" Preston Petty inventories left to purchase.
We are retooling the Headlight number plate. The process has already started and it will be a steel tool that will last my lifetime.
Next up is the MX rear fender tool but this may be in Early winter by the time it is ready to produce.

I am moving forward very cautiously and very slowly as the investment is HUGE per tool and I have to know what I am going to make there is a market for it. Not only a market but a strong worldwide market.
With Hodaka I made things because we all needed them and did not have a huge regard for the profits. Fun working with Harry and Ed on some projects.
Preston Petty Products is a business and needs to be run as such so unless we find an existing tool that is still in good shape it is doubtful I will be making the earlier style Preston Petty fenders. But never say never..
I speak with Bruce weekly and bring him up to speed on what is going on behind the scenes. He knows the straight scoop!
Thanks
Paul
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Paul. If you decide to make any kind of front fender in the RT color, I'd be interested in one or even 2!!! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Victor thank you but this will not be happening.
The tooling for the Hodaka fenders was not made out of steel but out of other materials so that the tools were a lot more affordable BUT we could only make aprox. 50-60 fenders out of a tool before the tool was worn out. Based on tooling costs and unit costs we had to sell these fenders for about $ 65.00 which really did not leave any profits. In some cases the tools wore out sooner and we lost money.
If I was to remake these tools and to sell the fenders right now we would have to be around $ 75.00- $ 80.00 each and I am no longer going to invest the time or the money to do this.
I appreciate your offer to buy two fenders but the time has passed now and these are just one of the things I have mentioned that we will no longer be making. As customers look at prices we have to charge to make products and can decide that they are either to expensive or source another supplier. We also as suppliers can also look at these items and decide is it really worth the time, energy ,investment and profit if there is a profit to be made.
A lot of things that have been happening the past year have opened my eyes to what is really important and what is really necessary.This has come from what I am able to read and see on this forum. I am old but I get it. It has taken a few years to get it but I understand now.
Thank you
Paul
---

Post by --- »

DesertRat54 wrote:Since you mentioned Preston Petty, I'll ask you the same question I asked Paul: What are my chances of finding a pair of first generation, white Preston Petty fenders? You know the ones: 5 5/8" wide for an 18" rear wheel, and 4" wide for a 21" wheel. Anything I find either has holes all through it, or is green or blue.
Bill in VA
I was asking Bill if he meant first generation as in made 45 years ago, or first generation as in new production and autographed by Preston. I suspect there are no originals out there that haven't been trashed (or sold the minute they hit the Internet) and the first run new stuff with autographs are probably accounted for.
GMc
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bill I do not have anymore of the earlier style fenders that you are looking for. There was no name on them like "Baja", "Muder" etc.. they only had the Preston Petty logo.
I did have some a few months back after I had purchased a left over inventory but these have all sold now sorry. I do not know of any other "good" Preston Petty inventories left to purchase.
Not anything left that is easy to source Greg.
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Hi Gentlemen,

Well, I'm impressed that I brought up something that others were interested in. Bruce and Paul, I absolutely respect and understand your positions on the whole "re-pop" thing. I can only imagine how much time and investment goes into product development, and always feel very fortunate to have the newer re-pops available to purchase when I need them. And Bruce, don't worry about feeling like you're lecturing me--I didn't take it that way at all. And in response to Shorty, yes, I was (am?) looking for an original set, fully aware that I'll probably never see one.

My original comment to Paul, if I recall correctly, was that there may very well be a large demand for the earlier Petty fenders because of the difficulty in finding them anywhere. My recollections from my SoCal desert racing days include the certainty that most bikes on that long line facing the smoke bomb sported at least one of these fenders--including mine. That's a lot of fenders.

I got started on this whole thing after I visited yet again that dark corner of my basement which has been home to my most prized possession: a one-off, dealer-modified '68 Hodaka Ace 100 with a Jensen kit. And that ain't all it's got. It's tricked out all over the place from front to back; things I'd never seen before. And yes, it's got the first generation white Petty fenders on it. Obviously, someone built this with a serious intent. I got it years ago from a guy in Glendora, CA., and he bought it new when he was 16. Anyway, I think I've decided that I'm not getting any younger, and that I need to push this one to the front of the line. I've got a pair of Petty fenders that I've dressed up and they're okay, but I'd really like to have a better pair for the restoration. This is one of those bikes that I think deserves the best of everything.

So that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

Dale

Post by Dale »

Bill,
How about some pictures of your bike? It definitely sounds picture worthy and we would love to see it.
Dale
Dale
---

Post by --- »

admin wrote:
Bill I do not have anymore of the earlier style fenders that you are looking for. There was no name on them like "Baja", "Muder" etc.. they only had the Preston Petty logo.
Not anything left that is easy to source Greg.
I noticed a few days ago you had a Baja for sale, and today you don't. Should have bought it when I saw it, but didn't know it was NOS, instead of new line. Ah, well.... I guess I live with what I have and can now find. Bought your (apparently) last orange uni style rear fender which hopefully will go with an NOS Super Combat front fender I found, to be added to a new project.

I know it is tough to decide what to buy into and what not to, with potential buyers as limited as they are. Only so many fender less Hodakas in the world. I think we have grown accustomed to a world of endless supply. Guess the Chinese haven't discovered the Hodaka yet. Let's hope they don't.
GMc
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Maybe if a niche become unfilled someone will fill it. SH has demonstrated that the market is there. I am impressed with the availability of Hodaka parts . My '70's BMW /5-model is also easy to get parts for, and this makes owning an older motorcycle a joy.

--Bill
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

Bill, where do you get the BMW parts? I have a R75/6 I am interested in restoring.
Mike Perrett
z1kzonly

Post by z1kzonly »

There are a lot of classic car Guys restoring Stainless trim. You can look there. You can search them out and have a whole lot of possibilitys.
I love stainless steel, especially polished
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

michael_perrett wrote:Bill, where do you get the BMW parts? I have a R75/6 I am interested in restoring.
Mike Perrett
My primary parts source is Hucky's Spare Parts (Hans Lowe) http://bmwhucky.com/ ...

Hans Lowe is a German who specializes in parts for older BMWs, and MAX and Beemer Shop carry parts for older and newer BMWs.

--Bill
Last edited by Bill2001 on Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Other good suppliers are MAX BMW http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/ ...

--Bill
Last edited by Bill2001 on Mon May 16, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

...and The Beemer Shop (Ted Porter) http://www.beemershop.com/ .

--Bill ;)
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Well, I'm late to the party as usual. I think it was Dale who suggested some pics of the Jensen, so I dug up these. This is roughly the way I got it back in 2006. The previous owner had replaced the original Petty front fender with the one you see here; the rear is still there, complete with the corner that's been chewed on by somebody's dog. Before I took this pic, I replaced the front and rear wheels (rear hub is the older four bolt variety, by the way) with these stock ones to give me time to work on the original ones with the screws through the rims instead of rim locks. As you see, this is a '68 with the full Jensen kit and a spun aluminum air filter housing. Suspension features 14" Curnutts and a (painted--ugh) Swenco swing arm in the rear and a very strange pair of extended Yamaha AT-1 forks and triples in front. I don't have a detail of these, but they're weird. And since this was put together about a year before the first Super Rats, it sports the stock Ace 100 seat and gas tank. Handlebars are a wide (33") Husqvarna type. What you don't see are the brake shoes, cross-hatched on the friction surface with holes drilled in the webbing to save weight (?!), and the aluminum torsion bar on the font hub--also with holes drilled to save weight (or to just look cool, I don't know which).

Anyway, that's pretty much it. It ran when parked, although it was weak and obviously needs to go up a step in the cylinder. I didn't want to stress it, so I didn't put any time on it before pushing it into the basement where it's been all this time. I'm thinking the coming-out party may be this fall.
Bill in VA
Attachments
1969 Ace100 Jensen Kit LFt.JPG
1969 Ace100 Jensen Kit Rt.JPG
Bill in Virginia