Dirt Squirt 80 Resto Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
pungo

Dirt Squirt 80 Resto Project

Post by pungo »

All,

Wanted to save another Hodaka from ebay part out and restore it instead.

It needs a lot but good starting point. I expect it will take a while since not a lot of these around.

I will start with full dis-assembly, blast and power-coat the frame and then add parts as I can find them.
Was able to secure a NOS set of engine cases, expect a total engine rebuild will be required.

Starting to gather parts so if anyone has any parts, knows of parts, or donor bikes, I would appreciate any help I can get.
Willing to pay or trade for parts/bikes of course, donations always welcome but never expected.
Have to talk to Paul to see what he may have available. Know he had a roller available several of years ago.

This one will be a prized addition to my existing, dozen plus, and growing Hodaka collection LOL.

Here is what I am starting from, pics will be added as I progress and get more parts etc.

https://picasaweb.google.com/82indypc/1 ... Squirt8082
Last edited by pungo on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianZ

Re: Dirt Squirt 80 Resto Project (maybe)

Post by BrianZ »

Glad the hear you're saving the little Squirt, and good luck with the project. I've always wanted one, but I've never even seen one up here in Canada.

Brian
pungo

Re: Dirt Squirt 80 Resto Project (maybe)

Post by pungo »

Were they imported to Canada for certain? Were there Hodaka dealers there?
BrianZ

Re: Dirt Squirt 80 Resto Project

Post by BrianZ »

Hodaka was fairly popular in Canada. Growing up I had a 96 Dirt Squirt and I had friends with a Combat Wombats and Road Toad. There was a dealer close to us. As Hodaka faded away in the 80's there were few of the later models sold and I guess that's why I don't see them very often. I've seen a Thunder Dog and one 03 Wombat, but I've never seen a small Dirt Squirt or a 175SL. I'm guessing that some were sent north of the border, but I can't say for sure.

Brian
kentm

Post by kentm »

In 1972, I bought a new Ace 100 from Jake's Cycle Shop in Lakefield, Ontario here in Canada. I used to ride with my friend who had a Kawasaki 500 triple. We were an odd couple. He was faster on the roads but I was faster on the trails, HAHA. I have ALWAYS wanted a Dirt Squirt 80 but I have never seen one either. I hope I find one before Brian, lol.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Kent, as soon as I saw your post I remembered we have (Sasquatch Cycle) a Can-Am Qualifier with a Jake's Cycle dealer sticker on it. According to the sticker, they sold Hodaka, Can-Am, CZ, Jawa, and I think one other brand that escapes me. Anyway, every brand they sold went bust. It seems kind of funny that a dealer would have 4 brands, surely thinking that their future was insured, and then have every one go out of business. I wonder what happened to Jake's?

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jake Kaldwell (sp) ??
kentm

Post by kentm »

Interesting Brian, thanks, I didn't know Jake carried those other brands and sorry I don't know his last name. Yes, it would be interested to find out what ever happened to him. I am just curious, does anyone know how many Hodaka dealers there were in Canada?
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

BrianZ wrote:Kent, as soon as I saw your post I remembered we have (Sasquatch Cycle) a Can-Am Qualifier with a Jake's Cycle dealer sticker on it. According to the sticker, they sold Hodaka, Can-Am, CZ, Jawa, and I think one other brand that escapes me. Anyway, every brand they sold went bust. It seems kind of funny that a dealer would have 4 brands, surely thinking that their future was insured, and then have every one go out of business. I wonder what happened to Jake's?

Brian
CZ and Jawa were the same company, CZ/Jawa, making Jawa road bikes and CZ dirt bikes, and perhaps the names morphed over the years. As of 2014, Jawa Moto was still in business making motorcycles for European consumption.

Can Am is still making motorcycles (Spyder), quads, and snow machines if I am not mistaken. Isn't Can Am and Bombardier the same outfit?

Even the Hodaka was made beyond the 70's, just not marketed here in NA, and today, there is a Hodaka manufacturing firm in Taiwan. Same company? I don't know. They now make bicycles.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Not sure about the others, but Can-Am no longer makes motorcycles. Bombardier was the original parent company and are a manufacturer of aircraft and transit products like rail and streetcars. Some time ago the spun off BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) who sell snowmobiles, watercraft, and ATVs (under the Can-Am name) as well as the Spyder which is a three wheeler "sort of a motorcycle", but with one wheel too many. BRP owns Rotax and there has been rumours of BRP producing a motorcycle once again, but so far nothing concrete.

Regardless, by the late 70's early 80's Jake's Cycle would have had no new bikes to sell.

So Pungo, sorry about the hijack, and any progress on the Squirt? Keep us updated!

Brian
pungo

Post by pungo »

No problem on the Hi-Jack, all good info that adds to the collective knowledge base.
Thought I read that Can-Am turned into ADK, several buyers of brand over time, one in UK.

Anyway DS 80 will be ongoing project. Thanks to a pointer from Dale D I now have a
nice looking tank on the way. Should be dent free but will need resto. Will post pics
when it arrives. Have a lead on a seat and air box from gentleman down under, still
in the works though. Shipping from AU we know is $s but may be necessary.

May go with a Hodaka motor rebuilt expert on this one, have to talk with a few
folks and figure out best way to go. Its not a performance motor but the parts
cross reference sheet show the DS 80 motor was unique. Was thinking maybe
it was a 100 bottom end with 80cc top end. So TBD on parts at this time for engine.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Well... the DS80 is sorta unique, in that it was basically cobbled together from "floor sweepings"? You're right that the bottom end is pretty much a 100 (actually, a lot - including the crank - is Road Toad) and the transmission is an (early) model 03! Reading the parts list for a DS 80 is kinda like reviewing a confused history of different Hodakas. Great education; you learn all about part numbers. Also, be warned that some of the parts were actually the same as earlier parts, but received new (confusing) 82XXXX part numbers, just to keep you on your toes.

Great little bikes when assembled, nifty looking pipe, and I never did figure out how to tear down & reassemble the cute little forks. BTW, Mike Lake built a really cool alloy air box for the DS 80 Raffle Bike a few years ago, one copy of which went to a winning bidder from OZ at the awards banquet/raffle drawing that summer. Info available to club members on a back issue of the Resonator Revisited.
Bob
pungo

Post by pungo »

Thanks for the info Bob! I saw the large number of 82XXXX part numbers and thought it meant unique parts vs renumbered prior parts, yikes will have to watch for that. Glad its a toad crank, have several of those engines sitting around if I need one.

I have been a HC member for a while so will check back issues for the air box. Have a lead on one but dont know condition yet.
Bottom section of my bike is gone so will try to find another else will have to try and repair mine.

Tons of fun!!
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

One of my mentors in the early 70s rode a Can-Am Bombardier. That thing was bullet proof.

And just to be mixer, a three wheeled vehicle is considered a motorcycle in most states.. He Heh. :geek:

I will get back to work now.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
pungo

Post by pungo »

Project Parts Update.

Have a tank now, really good shape, no dents and pretty clean inside.

Have a lead on a air box and a seat.

Lots of other parts are still in the hunt, main parts to find front wheel, carb, forks.

Looking for any available parts bikes as well.

Progress continues.

Project pics here
https://picasaweb.google.com/82indypc/1 ... Squirt8082
Attachments
IMG_9390.jpg
IMG_9387.jpg
IMG_9386.jpg
IMG_9385.jpg
IMG_9384.jpg
pungo

Post by pungo »

Progress continues on the little DS 80 project

I was able to secure a ton of parts from a nice bike that was parted out on ebay, such a shame, would have paid $$s for the complete bike.
I basically purchased everything I needed in the way of missing pieces and that was DS specific, i.e. has an 82****** part number. Although as Bob W pointed out, that does not mean its only a DS part. I figured I would choose the best parts for the project and hold any duplicates for future DS 80 projects others may have. At least the parts will sit in my inventory vs going to scrap yard. I know of a couple "bike recyclers" that put parts on ebay and if they don't sell in a couple months they go into the scrap bin, no matter what. So better to buy anything that may go down that path.

I have tons of pics to take of all the new parts and post them into my photo lib of the project, thats coming soon.

I orders a pile of parts from Paul, all new cables, all engine seals, gaskets, hardware, rubber parts etc, etc. Lots of $s in a such a small box :)
I will be looking to get this engine rebuilt at some point. I do have a NOS set of cases for the project so looking to build complete new motor.

The bike is totally stripped down now and in boxes, want to get the frame out to blasting and to powder coating. It had its far share of snapped off bolts, man how I hate extracting those, always braking off extractors, drills etc, nothing really seems to work well in that area. Had a few bent items to repair. Was surprised now easy I got the front badge off the head.

Once the frame is away I can start cleaning and preparing parts to back on.
Still in the hunt for some near impossible if not impossible parts, other not so. Hope maybe to find an other bike at some point.

List is getting shorter though. Anyone having any spares or knowing of parts or bikes it would be greatly appreciated.

Parts List Needed ( list not too huge but some hard to find items for sure)
--------------------
Front / Rear fenders: my rear may be usable but pretty darn rough, Paul may be sourcing mini-mudder via PPPs
Complete Oil Injection bottle, cap, connectors etc: would prefer to not run premix is possible.
Side panels: of course, or borrow a set to see if DC Plastics will reproduce, since tooling is dead (right Paul?)
Air filter screen, round
Front brake handlebar perch and lever
Handle bar ON/Off switch
Two rubber air box joints, carb intake and box intake, think Paul has carb one perhaps
Rear inner fender Mud guard
Better throttle, mine is bad
Oil injection cable
Rear brake lever
Front number plate, not sure if the one I have is Hodaka or not, is it suppose to say Hodaka on the plastic, mine is orange vs white?
Front axle left side hub spacer
Clutch plates, assume mine will be old and worn.
Possible engine parts, TBD until cracked open.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hmmm. I might have some of the parts you need. What carb are you looking for? I have 3 right side brake perches and some levers. I have 2 extra metal Road Toad rear fenders. They have green paint but could easily be stripped and tapped the small dents out and repaint red, but no mud flaps. Let me know if you're interested in any. I also have a Road Toad oil box and a great oil pump too. The throttle you need has to have the two cable attachment to run both the fuel and the oil pump. I'm going premix. ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
pungo

Post by pungo »

D
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for Dirt Squirt 80 original parts, or known other Hodaka model equivalents. Although some of the parts used on this bike are from other models many are DS 80 only part/numbers. Such as rear fender, plastic vs metal. Carb I do have one already. The brake perch and lever I believe is DS 80 specific, I know I could get others to work including after market mini-cycle units but want to keep all original as much as possible. Same goes for the throttle assembly, yes its dual cable for injector system, Road Todd tank etc is different size and shape, different parts.

I do have the complete parts number list for the bike and have identified which parts cross over, via the Hodaka Compatibility Spreadsheet, sorted by model 82 and P/N, which is available and the hard work of Ed C I believe. Most of the non 82 part numbers I have from my inventory or available via Paul etc. I will have to check closer to see if some item are indeed the same part even though they have 82 part numbers, such as rear brake lever.

Cheers
Tim
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Nope I can't take credit for the extremely useful compatibility spreadsheet. Our good friend "bchappy" (Bill Chapman) got that done for us.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
pungo

Post by pungo »

Ok, Sorry Bill, knew it was one of the King Pins that did all that work.
BTW, still have your 03 in my stable of Hodakas, keep forgetting to do the title work so I can ride it to work.

Super helpful and has saved me tons of time looking stuff up in manuals.
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

No problem Tim, I did the Compatibility Spreadsheet for myself and Paul thought it may be helpful to others. Just remember it is not 100 percent accurate but maybe 99 percent. I am surprised you don't have a title for the 03 yet.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
pungo

Post by pungo »

I would agree with 99%, found a few gliches here and there, couple dup part number, couple with or without leading "0"s, but it's 1000% helpful. Cannot imagine the efforts to cross ref parts without it.

Yeah, need to process the VT registration paperwork and then deal with NYS DMV on the title for the 03. Just been busy with other bikes, rebuilding a KT-250 for vintage trials, OSSA Explorer project, RM60 pit bike project, Thunderdog project, DKW project. Lately this DS-80 has come to the surface due to some parts coming on ebay. Actually doing a all day trip tomorrow to hopefully get another one, big $s on these little bikes but not as bad as what I have seen on the 175s.

Cheers
Tim
pungo

Post by pungo »

When it rains it pours, couple years looking for a DS80 then I found a roller that has turned into a project. Then came the parted out bike I ebay I bought most of, another pile of parts from Paul and I am near there for getting going, except for some hard parts, fenders and side covers.

Then another bike came up in NJ via Paul Burke spotting on Craigslist. Now I have another that I will NOT restore, just clean up and leave all original. Looks really nice, even dirty. Full pics are here and a few attached. Still moving forward with the resto project as well, from none to two within a few months LOL.

https://picasaweb.google.com/82indypc/6 ... 0925403985
Attachments
IMG_9625.jpg
IMG_9666.jpg
IMG_9621.jpg
IMG_9680.jpg
IMG_9626.jpg
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Looks like a great find! Enjoy...
Bob
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Mr. Mouse always seems attracted to air cleaners. When building my display short tracker I removed the inards of the engine and Amal to make it all lighter. At the time the shop was not mouse proof and Mr. Mouse entered through the stinger on the low pipe through the engine and carb to bite a hole in the new Uni air filter. Mr. Mouse is no longer with us.
Just commenting, 8-)

Max