Should I part out my Thunderdog? *Pics*

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Schlechta

Should I part out my Thunderdog? *Pics*

Post by Schlechta »

Hello! I have a question about my 1976 Hodaka Thunderdog. I purchased this vehicle as part of a multiple bike purchase with hopes to restore and eventually ride. Unfortunately, the engine is seized and in very bad condition and I am no longer interested in continuing this restoration. My question for the forum is whether or not I should part it out or sell outright. Other than the engine, the rest of the motorcycle is in very good condition. I would rate it at 8/10. The transmission shifts quite smoothly and the exhaust is in very good condition. Would I receive a larger return on my investment if I was to part it out individually or sell it outright with the seized engine? I have pictures posted below.
Attachments
IMG_20160503_205207_01.jpg
IMG_20160503_205205_01.jpg
IMG_20160503_205203_01.jpg
thrownchain

Re: Should I part out my Thunderdog? *Pics*

Post by thrownchain »

Try to sell out right. Maybe someone with a decent motor needs a good chassis and will pick it up. If it doesn't sell then you could part it out. Don't expect a quick sale, you have to find the person who "needs" your bike. What is wrong with the motor if you don't mind?
MWL

Post by MWL »

Where are you located?
---

Post by --- »

If I were in the market for a project, I would far rather have a complete bike that needs engine work than to put one together from parts. Parting assumes there is enough market for enough of the parts that the end result is worth your time in taking it apart. There weren't that many of these made to begin with, and I doubt there are enough folks not already on this forum who have one needing major parts infusions. So, sell it as it sits. The forum has a marketplace tab where you can post your for sale info and pictures.
GMc
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Parting it out will most likely get you more money in the long run, but it could be quite a long long long long run! It would depend on the people out there looking for TDog parts and which.

I would suspect selling it outright will get you the best price sooner at least. You should post where you are located. Someone fairly close might be interested, especially in the whole bike.

You're also likely to find people who want some parts more than others. Most aren't looking for a frame. Tanks, wheels, carbs, cylinders and the more expensive and hard to find parts are what will go first. Are you prepared to have half or less of a bike sit around forever because you sold some but not all parts?

I went to Colorado from New Mexico for the two bikes I've been rebuilding. It was 5 hours each way and I could do it in a day. I was gone a total of 12 1/2 hours and got home that night after an early departure. This is the kind of buyer I would look for. No shipping costs, no worries about them calling you repeatedly. Just make it a one price takes all and once you buy it it's yours. That's my best recommendation! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
pungo

Post by pungo »

I also will travel a days drive from home to save a Hodie, doing it again this weekend, 5hrs each way but have gone further before.

Where are you located and what price do you have in mind.

I already have two but would always consider another.
dirtsquirt74

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

We are sixty days away from Hodaka Days. Bring it to Hodaka Days. If no one takes of your hands, I will take it home. I have a trail whale motor that will bolt in the frame.
73notrun

Post by 73notrun »

I am the owner of the 76 Thunder Dog with the seized engine. My Grandson helps me out with these things now and then. The bike is located in St. Charles Co. Missouri. Other than being stuck the engine looks good no broken cases or fins. I did dip the carb and the black paint on the carb mostly peeled off. Missing the headlight assembly and we broke the tail light lens when we were removing it from a storage vault. The clutch is not seized. I would like to sell it complete and interested in offers. I do part bikes out sometimes and I am familiar selling / buying parts online. Let me know if there are any questions.

Cheers,
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

I think you get more for the complete bike
parting it out you will sell a few peaces fast but might get stuck with a lot that doesn't sell
Ralph Hecht

Post by Ralph Hecht »

Hi 73notrun, I would be interested in your Thunderdog. I live in Wentzville. [email protected]
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

How much are you desiring for the T-Dog in its current condition? (Somebody had to ask!). ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Looks bone stock minus the headlight and tail light lens. Too cool to part out as its a good start for a resto. Fill that engine case and cylinder up with BP blaster for a week or so and give it a roll. It may be as simple as a stuck ring that has the engine frozen. Rebuilding the motor and replacing the routine maintenance "service items" would be in the wheelhouse of probably 90% or better of all the people on this forum and then...presto - another Hodie hits the dirt. This would be a much more likely scenario than someone needing, for example, a replacement frame. Trust me when I say that if anything transpires where I need to replace the frame on my 250ED, I'll likely be beyond caring.
2Brothersvmxracing

Post by 2Brothersvmxracing »

73notrun, I am also interested in your Thunderdog. We are currently putting together a couple of them to compete in AHRMA. I live very close to St. Charles County. Please contact me @ [email protected]. Thanks, Terry
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

OOH! Even better. Hodaka Dave will have that thing ripping in no time!