Super Combat Shift Kit Installation

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
lonedave

Super Combat Shift Kit Installation

Post by lonedave »

I was removing the clutch nut from the crank shaft and proceeded to ruin the threads in the nut...should have read that again about it being left hand thread! Luckily I didn't ruin the shaft threads. (New nut to be ordered tomorrow) After managing to get it worked off the shaft, I go to remove the primary gear. Following the instructions on the "how to" page it shows the gear being held with the same tool. I now see the holes in the gear are spaced closer than the clutch. The tool I'm using is the one Paul sells, so I guess could make a new one similar to it. Short of that, what do you guys use to hold the primary gear?

Dave
socalhodaka

Re: Super Combat Shift Kit Installation

Post by socalhodaka »

image.jpeg
I use this and don't use a holder on the gear.
lonedave

Post by lonedave »

I didn't think to try an impact driver. Do you use it to tighten the nut too? I figured I'd need to use a torque wrench on it, but I haven't found a torque value. So snug tight would work here? Thanks for the idea.
Dave
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Dave, you will need to torque all of the nuts. Assemble everything lightly snug by hand then you can use the holding tool wherever, it's all meshing. I don't have the torque specs for the Super but someone does. Have fun!

Max

PS--the impact driver works like magic for disassembly but I'd reassemble it by hand.
Attachments
Whatever works.
Whatever works.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . and you can use the holding tool on the primary gear in the same way as shown in the photo.

Use torque wrench for tightening (not impact driver).

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Yes impact for desimble
lonedave

Post by lonedave »

Bill - The 203000 is for the 90 - 125's and the 203007 is for the 175 and 250. Look under the tools heading on this site.

When Max said "all meshing" it dawned on me to use the tool on the clutch and it would hold the primary. Worked fine and I took the clutch nut off my spare Wombat motor to use for the one I ruined. So far all's well. I just can't seem to grasp the idea of left hand threads!

Oh and the impact wrench does work great for removal.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Dave, one more thought, If you tightened the left hand nut that tight you may have compressed the clutch pinion bushing #944003. I'd at least inspect it while you have it apart. Check for any flaring.

Max
lonedave

Post by lonedave »

Max

Thanks for the check. I'll have to pull it apart to check but I didn't notice any issue with it and it seemed to slide in and out fine. Also, the clutch slid right on and seemed to work fine by hand. I think I need to cut down on the Wheaties before I tackle another left hand thread! Either that or follow the old adage of "measure twice...cut once." :D

Dave