Finally Combat Wombat Complete

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bchappy

Finally Combat Wombat Complete

Post by bchappy »

18 months but it is finally where I wanted it. Got it from Kelly at Hodaka Days 2014 and it sat for almost a year as I gathered the parts I wanted. Stripped it down to the frame and powder coated it. Installed Hodaka 250 fromt forks (still looking for some 03 springs for it.) Has Super Combat ignition, 03 cylinder ported by Rich Gagnon for low end. New 28 mm carb and 03 reed assembly. Stock alloy front rim laced up to an 03 brake assembly. Original tank had several holes in the bottom so I found a really nice chrome tank supplied by Randy Smith (via eBay).

I will have to give you a performance report later. It cranked on the 4th kick (almost started on the 3rd) but there is 5" of fresh snow and I just didn't want to try to final jet it in the snow.
CW After_5.jpg
CW After_6.jpg
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
MWL

Re: Finally Combat Wombat Complete

Post by MWL »

That is awesome Bill. Very nice!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Bill that really came out nice. You are going to have fun! What no ridem in snow, you would have in years past?? Great work> Clarence
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

Very Nice Job Bill. I can only hope mine turns out just as nice when I'm done
bob
Last edited by squid on a 300 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Sweet! Bad Rock ready?
Dale
Camman

Post by Camman »

Bad ass ride Dale. Nice job!
-Chris
Camman

Post by Camman »

Sorry Bill. Thought this was Dales bike. Good job!
-Chris
budpat105

Post by budpat105 »

that's as good as it gets. I may have to talk to you about your carb and cylinder choices. Also about the front hub. I'm using this bike for my benchmark. Nice job, ( that tank is awesome)Bud
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Yep, that's a nice looking Combat Wombat.

Brian
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Bud
Cylinder and carb choice was based on wanting to ride trail and woods and not motocross. Port timing was changed only slightly ... just opened up and case port added. I have this same cylinder and porting on my Super Combat, but I have an HT3 pipe and 32 mm carb on it. Just wanted a little more low end. Will find out if my choice was right when the weather improves.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Bill, what more can I say, really nice.

Max
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

bchappy wrote: I will have to give you a performance report later. It cranked on the 4th kick (almost started on the 3rd) but there is 5" of fresh snow and I just didn't want to try to final jet it in the snow.
Very nice Bill. But riding in the snow is fun. Not many opportunities for that in my area.

Danny
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

I ran several cross country races in the snow 40 years ago but I just don't think jetting in the snow would be fun.
rough rider

Post by rough rider »

Outstanding job on the Combat Wombat Bill! You took your time and did it right. Richard
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Bill, this confirms my theory of Hodakas being built to be modified. Serial number beauties certainly have their place but we are limited on what we can modify. This is a great example of not only workmanship but of innovation. Good job! (again..) You're my kind of guy. :D

Max again.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Bill. Hearing you describe the differing model parts that went into your CW makes me feel better about my Model 03. I had been constantly referring to my bike as a "FrankenBike" because it had at least 4 different models for it's composition.

I'm getting ready to do the final push on my '76 Model 03 and add the replacement wiring harness I got from Danny Cooke so I can add the lights, turn signals and relay, voltage regulator, ignition, handlebar switches and the correct headlight bucket with AC/DC switch to make the bike street legal and capable of being registered! My last attention to little Frankie will be the final repaint and addition of the OEM original decals to the tank and battery cover. Nothing like a good ending story!

I too am surprised you don't want to ride it in the snow! I recall being in high school and living in North Carolina. We didn't get much snow there in the Piedmont, but whenever we did, you could find us out on the field of the local school, doing donuts, figure 8 Slides and being first in line at the end of the trail, waiting with your rear wheel in the ditch with your hand on the clutch and rev'ing the throttle, just waiting for the next bike to arrive! LOL! Great job! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

The picture is the start of a cross country race in the snow near Statesville, NC. The #43 is me with a modified engine (not too good in the snow). The guy leading it was Paul Miller the owner of the local Hodaka dealership. He was riding a stock bike (I think it was a 90.)
Allison Woods Winter.jpg