New projects from old parts. (picture heavy)

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
AndyL

New projects from old parts. (picture heavy)

Post by AndyL »

Several weeks ago a buddy asked if I had a 98 Rat frame to sell. He wanted to build a true 98 Rat and I am not much for matching of numbers for race bikes. I knew I had one, just didnt know where. Looked around for a while, and kept going thru box after box, (realized I needed to downsize/organize). Finally found the 98 frame; it was part of the modified Super Combat that I had raced for years in MOVMX.

As I had found another 97 frame on the wall/shelf, and I do more PV, Disco class riding now, I decided to pull the race bike apart, sell the 98 frame and rebuild it with the other frame. I rebuilt the 97 Super Combat pretty much stock with the exception of the porting, T-Dog front end, 03 swing arm, and larger carb. Here is how it came out, the Boge shocks were a little short, so I put Works on it;

While going thru all the parts, I realized it would be easier to store complete bikes rather than boxes of parts. There is always someone advertizing for Ace parts on CL around here, so I put an ad up to sell some motor stuff. It is a complete motor, everything was included, but I got no takers.

Decided to build another pit bike using the parts I had, seeing as how storing bikes is easier than storing boxes (at least in my mind), similar to the one I put together last year. It is a nice riding bike, used it at most of the races I went to and rode it all around Mid Ohio. Its an ACE90 and I put a Circle F down pipe on it.

Rebuilt the motor I had listed on CL, had a standard bore cylinder on the shelf, and a bunch of other parts, so I put this one together. The parts are not the best quality as I have had them for years, and they just werent good enough to use on other bikes but too good to throw away. Here is what I ended up with yesterday.

It started right up, but still needs adjusting, chain, and to figure out what to do for a seat. I vacuum formed a plastic base off an old rusted early ACE seat pan, and I have some old TM100/125 seat foam I can cut up to fit, I just need to fab up some brackets to mount the pan, then I will have a seat cover made. Not sure where those bars came from, and dont know if they will stay or not. I have another oval early headlight nacelle and just need to find the short headlight ears to match those forks. Pretty sure I will leave the springs exposed and not cover them with boots.

The shelves are getting pretty empty, no more frames hanging on the wall, but I think I may have been wrong about it being easier to store complete bikes than boxes.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: New projects from old parts. (picture heavy)

Post by Bullfrog »

Nice looking (or fun looking) scoots! I have to admit that I immediately had the question . . . "How is storing complete bikes easier than storing boxes???"

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

If you find you don't have room for all the complete bikes, I have a tiny bit of space for the last one. My 13 year old (middle) grandson can't ride the Model 03 I rebuilt for his brother. He's too short for the Model 03 and its bigger wheels! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Picture heavy? I see no photos on my browser. Is it just me or are there no pictures. :|
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I've got 5 pics in my story, nice looking scoots.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Nothing for me. I wonder what the problem is? I think this is the first time this happened. :roll:
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Richard,
I had trouble getting the pictures to display yesterday, (Sunday it worked fine). Seemed to be more a problem with PhotoBucket, who I use for photo hosting, as I couldnt get into their site yesterday.

It seems to be working now.

I have been trying to use up my stash of used/so-so quality parts for a couple years now, to cut down on inventory in anticipation of downsizing the house. Sold off 4 complete bikes and a truck load of parts after I got them organized.

All that was put on hold after some health issues stopped my racing and other activities completely. Now that things have improved drastically (health-wise) I am back on the plan so to speak (made the last MOVMX race of the year but was on a PV Kaw). I couldn't race, but I spent a lot of time in the shop trying to make complete piles that would eventually become motors and/or bikes out of the parts that I had left. Those last two pics are what I came up with from the parts. (link to my pair of KX125's here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lot3x4sfdfcz ... ds3Qa?dl=0

And yes, I was mistaken, it is easier to store boxes than complete bikes.....................
but it isnt as much fun to sit on the boxes and make motorcycle noises.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

AndyL wrote: And yes, I was mistaken, it is easier to store boxes than complete bikes.....................
but it isnt as much fun to sit on the boxes and make motorcycle noises.
These days I just sit and make the vroom vroom noises in my head. My wife already thinks there is something wrong with me. :) :)

Danny
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Ok, so now the questions start:
The bottom pipo in the picture is installed, works great, and I think its the right pipe for a A32XXX frame.

The top pipe is another pipe I have on the shelves and am now wondering if it even is a Hodaka pipe?????? It could be a Bridgestone 90 pipe as I have one of those for a pit bike as well.

So, is the installed pipe correct, and is the other pipe even a Hodaka pipe?

Also, when the seat pan is installed, is the pan suppored only by the brackets or does the seat pan also get supported by the rear of the frame loop. IE does the rear of the seat pan sit low enough to contact the rear of the frame loop?

[URL=http://s33.photobucket.com/user/AJ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Andy, Having been a dealer for both Hodaka and Bridgestone I would say the upper is suspiciously Bridgestone looking and not Hodaka. I can't remember if that's the right pipe for the model. The seat is not supported by the frame loop unless something is bent. Sometimes the loop was bent up for clearance for a larger wheel. OK, two out of three questions is not too bad. 8-)

Max

PS--For a moment there, I thought you had added an additional cylinder. :o
Dale

Post by Dale »

Andy, I agree with Max on the top pipe looking to be a Bridgestone. I spent a major part of my childhood thrashing a Bridgestone 90 and this pipe looks very familiar...

The bottom pipe looks to be correct. Same as mine on frame # A25xxx.

As for your seat loop, I checked my model 92 Ace 100 and the rear of the seat does not make contact with the loop. There looks to be about 8 mm clearance. I tried to get a picture of it. Hope that it helps.
Model 92 Ace 100
Model 92 Ace 100
Dale
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Thanks Max and ddvorak. I really appreciate the help.

I made the seat pan out of ABS and have a couple really rusted pans and mounts for examples. When I made up the mounts, I couldnt decided if they needed to be long enough to keep the seat off the loop, or shorter so that the loop also supported the seat.

Makes sense and I will make them a bit long, so they keep the pan just above the rear loop, similar to the picture you posted.

I also need to get after that Hodaka pipe with some steel wool or Metal Rescue (I think thats the name now) and get rid of that rust.

Funny how that works. I also started out on a Bridgestone 90. Dad brought it home in boxes and said if we could get it running, we could keep it. One neighborhood kid had an ACE 90, another older kid had a Super Rat (93) then went to a Super Combat. I beat that BS90 mercilessly trying to keep up with them, I kept bending the footpegs down on jumps and would have to bend them back up so my feet wouldnt slide off.

I will label that BS pipe when I get home. I kind of remember finding a spare pipe someplace and hiding it away in case the one on the 90 was rotted out. But its in great shape, like the rest of the BS90 (now), just a bit worn. Put in a new crank, piston, seals and bearings. New tires, tubes, wheel bearings and a new seat cover. Runs like a top. Titled/tagged and used around the neighborhood and at MidOhio.

I know its not Hodaka (sorry) but I am sure one of you will enjoy the pic. but here is my BS90 rider when I picked it up.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Dale

Post by Dale »

Yep, that is the one. Mine was blue. 1966 I think. Street model too. The pipe that you posted, with the heat guards, are from the trail model. Not only would the pegs bend down but they would also cause a contusion to the back of your ankle if your toe got hung up on the ground. Not that that ever happened. No it certainly was not a Hodaka but it certainly was the starter bike that lead me to my current addiction...
Last edited by Dale on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hodakas with their tubular frame and modifiable engine killed the Bridgestone 90 market at least in our area. I bought out the small local Bridgestone dealer as his small bike sales were "not too brisk." I needed a larger street bike to sell and the Bridgestone 175 and 350 filled that niche. I sold a few of the terrifying full-tilt 175 racers that were fast but a hand full to drive. I wholesaled one to a good friend who was racing a Honda 250 scramber to see how they worked and we were off to the races. Bad day at Black Rock, so to speak. I crashed my Hodaka in the staggered trophy dash and was ran over by a BSA 441 Victor. Joe crashed the 175 at least twice one being a high speed exit of the circuit through a fence and into a road. We limped home and Joe sold the 175 the next week. Anyway, funny how the name Bridgestone brings back memories. :roll:

Maxie
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Got some time to work on the Ace. My hands are sore and i used up some wire and gas on the seat pan but the seat came out great came out.

Special thanks to Paul for searching thru the rafters and finding a seat cover and foam for me.

Still have some wiring to do, LED headlight, and some painting on the motor, but it will be done soon.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Just so you know, if you haven't worked on the rust on the pipe yet hears a suggestion. Try using Aluminum Foil. Tear off a piece, wrinkle it up a bit and then fold it into layers. Once folded, dip it in water and rub the rusted areas of the chrome with the foil and water. The foil is much softer then the chrome but it will rub the rust off, just keep things wet, and be patient. Rub and rub and the rust will go away without scratching the chrome. If it's not pitted too deeply it may look nice again, just by using this technique! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Thanks Victor. I will try foil on the pipe this week.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

The foil trick worked great, thanks Victor. On another subject....................

I have a highly modified Super Combat and Super Rat that I raced in AHRMA and MOVMX for years.

It has come time to put them back to stock (at least close to it). Modified bikes are fun, but dont seem to sell well.

So over the last week, I got some work done on the second one, a Super Rat. Used most of the parts I had on the shelves, but the shelves are getting bare, time to put in another order to Paul.

I also need to find some longer shocks for the Super Combat. Those old Boge/Mulhollands are about an inch short.
I am not a fan of the black motor on the late Super Rat, so over the years as I rebuilt it, it lost the black paint.

I left PVL's on both bikes and they both have some mild porting (mostly matching) done.
250 forks on the Super Combat, stock on the Super Rat.
I loved racing the Hodaka's while they were modified, but the stock look is growing on me again.
Progress to date................... (These are the exact same bikes as above)

Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA