Road Toad shock interchangeability

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
jakecb420

Road Toad shock interchangeability

Post by jakecb420 »

I was wondering if anyone has tried putting Super Combat shocks on a model 99 (1975) Road Toad. I have a lead on some super combat shocks but don't want to pull the trigger on the purchase without a conformation! It looks like sprocket clearance might be an issue. Thanks
socalhodaka

Re: Road Toad shock interchangeability

Post by socalhodaka »

If I recall I think the RT frame is pretty much the same as a SC.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Original Super Combat shocks are, at this point, 41 years old. Do they still work?
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I'm pretty sure the Combat Wombat shocks are rebuildable, so if the seals have failed they can be fixed. The problem is that they were not that good to begin with, so for a rider an after market shock is a better bet. For a 10 point Super Combat restoration you will want the original shocks, but of course that doesn't hold water for a Road Toad. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you are doing and what the shocks are costing.

Brian
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Some of the Hodaka shocks may be technically rebuildable, but at this remove, where would one find rebuild components? I don't think Hodaka ever offered any, and I don't find any now.

As for how they compare to current aftermarket shocks, I am not surprised to find that current equipment is better. I dumped my original Hodaka shocks before they were a year old in favor of after market, and that was 40-some years ago.

Point being, that for purposes of the original question, the answer may be that SC shocks fit the RT, but would someone intending to ride their bike really want to put money into them? It's a fair question that only the original poster can answer.
jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

Some good points made here. I guess my goal with my toad is to have as good of a rider as I can on my shoestring budget. New shocks(atleast 270 bucks) vs MAYBE better used ones for 40ish dollars, I would Some good points made here. I guess my goal with my toad is to have as good of a rider as I can on my shoestring budget. New shocks(atleast 270 bucks) vs MAYBE better used ones for 40ish dollars, I would be willing to take that gamble. However, I have found out that the SC shocks are 12.5 inches vs the toads 13.5, and I don't really want to get into changing ride height so I am gonna pass on them.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I am surprised by the statement that the Road Toad shocks are longer? I will measure both models tomorrow...
As for using Super Combat shocks? If they are functional, they would be far superior to the stock Road Toad shocks. True that they can't compare to a new set of aftermarket shocks but a big improvement over the stock set.
Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

I just measured the stock shocks on a 99 Road Toad and they are the same length as the Super Combat (13 1/2 inches). This holds true for 98 Super Rats, 94 Wombats, 95 Combat Wombats, 01 Dirt Squirts. I don't think that you have any issue with length here...
Dale
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

If the shocks you have on your RT are really 12 1/2" they may not be original equipment. I don't think any of the 100cc and up Hodakas used 12 1/2" shocks.
jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

My toad shocks are 13.5, the SC shocks are claimed to be 12.5 from the seller. The shocks on the bike look to be original hodaka shocks but I am no expert. Perhaps the shocks don't really belong to super combat anyway. I'll try to investigate further.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

sC shocks are pretty distinctive due to the finned body. If you have photos or an eBay link or whatever, post it.
jakecb420

Post by jakecb420 »

Well, I feel like a dolt! No pic necassary to verify they are not super combat shocks. I just compared them and they are definitely not what I was hoping for. Thanks for all the help and info to all.