dirt squit crankcase oil capacity

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
captinr

dirt squit crankcase oil capacity

Post by captinr »

What is the amount of oil required to refill crankcase in a 01 dirt squirt. Recommended oil type?

Thanks
Zyx

Re: dirt squit crankcase oil capacity

Post by Zyx »

From the Strictly Hodaka Website, model specifications for the 01 Dirt Squirt:

1 1/4 pints oil capacity

As for which to use, most any modern crankcase oil intended for wet clutch motorcycles.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I don't see it stated here much, but, I use Shell Totella in all my motorcycles! The T6 is a full synthetic and the Rotella T is traditional oil. I have the Rotella T in my 1976 Wombat right now. It does not have any fiction modifiers in it and it meets or exceeds the JASO MA standards for motorcycles with wet clutches. Bikes even seem to run cooler with it. And you can buy a gallon of Rotella T for $12.99 at WalMart these days!

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

If there are discernible differences between brands of modern oil within a given classification, it would take an engineer and a test lab to identify them. Without test data, I would not expect temperature differences as between two otherwise identical oils, but different brands. I don't believe synthetic oil runs cooler than petro oil, rather its physical characteristics at a given temperature differ from petro oil. Synthetic oil with the same viscosity "rating" as a petro oil will in fact be less viscos and more pumpable, offering less drag. This makes for easier starting in cold weather, but at full operating temperature, it's properties are much the same as petro oil. Having used both types for a quarter century or so, I see no differences in oil pressure at full operating temperatures using one versus the other. Fuel savings are real using synthetic, but not significant. Synthetic oil has many laudable properties, but the choice is up to the individual. About the only characteristic of synthetic that really stands out is the fact that in normal use, synthetic oil never breaks down, whereas petro oil eventually does. In synthetic, only the additive package wears out. Synthetic is readily re-refineable but most of the time, used synthetic is simply tossed out or put to other post consumer uses.

If you have a favorite brand of oil, use it. None of these bikes holds enough oil that the cost of the oil is prohibitive.