Whitey Hartman has passed away

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JayLael

Whitey Hartman has passed away

Post by JayLael »

Uncle Glenn (Whitey) Hartman passed away in a Lewiston Idaho hospital, after being hospitalized with intestinal blockage, which turned out to be stage 3 cancer. The growth was removed, but the cancer had spread to his lymph system. He passed away at 8:30 pm, on Friday, October 9th. God Speed Uncle Whitey. You will be missed.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Whitey Hartman has passed away

Post by Bullfrog »

Here's hoping Heaven has some machinery in need of improvement - because Whitey is the right guy for the job! I'll miss him!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
junker2k

Post by junker2k »

Jay, I am very sorry about Whitey. He was always fun to talk to as he always had a story. He will be missed.
Jack K
dirtsquirt74

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

Enjoyed talking to him concerning my ongoing Yamagouchi projects. If I am not mistaken, the two of us are the only ones that have completed the Hodaka Days trail ride on our Yamagouchi's. He will be missed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jay I am just getting home from a short trip and am deeply sorry to hear about Whitey. I really enjoyed my time spent with him at Hodaka Days. Great fun guy to be around he will be very much missed!!
Paul
gregg_floren

Post by gregg_floren »

Jay,

I am so sorry to hear about Whitey. I know you were close and the Hodaka world look very different without all he has contributed. We will all miss him.

Gregg.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

I thought some of you might enjoy this photo
Thank you all for your kind comments, and remembrances of Whitey. Once plans come into place for his memorial event, I will post here as soon as I know anything. Tenativley at some point, his ashes will be scattered over the river by Boggan's Oasis, south of Asotin Washington, down the bottom of the Rattlesnake grade. Hopefully we will ride motorcycles from Asotin or Anatone, down and back. No date is set yet.
Attachments
Whitey on one of the very first Hodakas ever made. It had a single digit frame number. It became the basis for my first trials motorcycle.
Whitey on one of the very first Hodakas ever made. It had a single digit frame number. It became the basis for my first trials motorcycle.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

If I remember correctly, Mary Lou and I met him the year this was taken. He was a very friendly person. Sorry for your loss Jay.
Attachments
At Hodaka Days
At Hodaka Days
imagesCAGBOHTH.jpg (11.18 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

For anyone considering attending Whitey's celebration of life, here is what I know now. Grumpy's is in Clarkston btw. Here is the message I received.

the "service" is all set for the 24th at noon. They're all meeting at Grumpy's for lunch, followed by the group ride to just past Bogans to sprinkle ashes.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

The ride has been cancelled because "it's too cold", so it's down to the lunch deal at Grumpy's. They said most likely the ride will take place in June. I can see a mile away it will be held the same weekend as Hodaka days. Mark my words. Whitey has been involved in the past with an organized street ride that weekend, is why I say this. Most likely they want to turn it into an annual memorial ride.
Just an update in case anyone is thinking of going.
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

There was a wonderful celebration of life, and many people who loved him showed up. After things wound down, Jerry Carter, Heidi and me went out to Anatone, hauling our Wombats out there in a van, then we unloaded at the top of the Rattlesnake grade, and rode our bikes down to Boggan's Oasis, on the Grande Ronde river, which was Whitey's favorite place, then back up just as the sun was setting. It was beautiful, and I sure had a chance to reflect on Whitey, and what he meant to me.
The annual ride is tenatively set for third weekend in September.