Bringing a knife to a gunfight

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BrianZ

Bringing a knife to a gunfight

Post by BrianZ »

The Ormstown Vintage Festival was last weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with this event, it is a vintage trials, hare scramble, and motocross event in the southern part of Quebec. I attended with 3 Hodakas with one of them being a 1970 Ace 100 that I stripped down to enter the '65 -'70 motocross class. It turns out I was racing against 3 BSA 441s and a twin pipe CZ so I was a little "out gunned" in regards to HP, but I had weight and handling working in my favour. In the first moto I managed to stick with the BSAs for the first two laps, but then faded back.

Here I am running in fourth just after the first turn. That's Mick Andrews in first:

Between motos I had time to think about my performance. I thought I could do better, so in the second moto I turned up the heat a bit and caned the poor little Ace mercilessly. I managed to get around one of the BSAs and had my sights on second place.

On the last lap the BSA in fourth got around me putting me down a spot, but I stuck on his wheel. Going into the final straight there is a drop off with a bit of mud in the bottom. Both BSAs in front of me went to the left and I went to the right. Through the dip I passed both of them, caught some air coming out of the dip, and was in second place on the final straight heading for the chicane before the finish. I crouched down, pinned the throttle and the little Ace screamed toward the finish line. Unfortunately it was not to be. Both BSAs roared past on the straight relegating me to fourth place.

Regardless of my finishing place, I had a blast.

If anyone here lives close to southern Quebec, consider this event for next year. It's worth the trip.

Thanks to Heather Collis at Sasquatch Cycle for the great photography!

Brian
Dale

Re: Bringing a knife to a gunfight

Post by Dale »

How fun Brian. Thanks for the post. Way to give the bigger bikes a run for their money!
Dale
Dale
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Yea! Another great racing story, thanks for the post! :D (and good job Heather!)

Max
Last edited by hodakamax on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Oh woweeee! Your post gave me such a GRIN. Isn't it a HOOT to go out and run with the "big bores"? Not to mention being on the track with Mick Andrews!! Loved it!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
oldmxracer

Post by oldmxracer »

Awesome report. Rode a mixed moto once against mostly 250s on my 98 Rat. Passed up to 3rd before the transmission crapped out and pissed some guys off. Good ride for you!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

John, one of the BSA riders, was kind enough to send me a link to his helmet cam footage of the race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0CQZkwHlGk

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Brian, thanks for the link. Wow! Having raced BSA singles AND Hodakas, I did get big grins watching the video, especially when you would make a run on the BSA. :lol: The sounds of the two bikes together and racing action brought back great memories! :D

Max
Attachments
That's NOT my Falcon!
That's NOT my Falcon!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Cool old BSA Max. I have a 1963 C15 competition version sitting in my garage, where is slowly drips oil into an old baking sheet. I ride it every now and then, but with the brake and shift levers on opposite sides I tend to get them mixed up. It does make a really nice sound though!

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

That's the bike that drove me to reliable Hodakas. I got tired of watching races while waiting on parts from afar. It was fun though!

Max
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I still bet you surprised the Heck out of those bigger bikes! That little ole 100 screaming by them surely must have given them pause to wonder the the Heck was going on!!! Nicely Done!!! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Firehawkmph

Post by Firehawkmph »

Cool video. Looked like a fun Track. Couple more horses and you would have had the Beezers for lunch!
Mike Hawkins